Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 PM
"Dennis McLeod"

Default Yogunluk

If I send him a message directly, and put him in the CC line too, will it
start a loop of auto-replies...?
How about I set up an account somewhere (gmail..), turn on a vacation
message , and then send him a message.....
Just thinking....
Dennis

Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

You geeks have too much free time on your hands. ;->

Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
"Dennis McLeod"

I setup yogunluk@gmail.com, turned on the vacation responder, and sent him a
message.....
Unfortunately (smart they are) Gmail detects the issue and stops the loop
(although I replied to it a few times..........)
Anyway I cc'c the other addresses, maybe he'll get the hint...
Gonna go find something to do...
Dennis

Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

LOL!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 22:26 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

And we intend to keep it that way by not having to pore through useless
automated trash postings caused by some "non geek"(?) having the
attention span of a gnat and forgetting to account for things like these
lists in his stupid vacation (or whatever) automated replies.

Alternately, we could avoid posting about such stuff until the
responsible list person is able to handle it. But where's the fun in not
picking on some hapless idiot?

--
Bill

Old 06-28-2008, 11:41 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:16 PM, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 22:26 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:

I think people who use auto responders for their normal email account should get an additional email account, for the mailing lists they subscribe to, and NEVER use an auto responder on the email account for their mailing lists.* This happens frequently, on this mailing list and on others.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 AM
"Michael A. Peters"

<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com <mailto:CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com>> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 22:26 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:

What was really bad - I worked at a company that had the bright idea of
automagically copying the marketing director with all tech support mail
so that he could see the kinds of issues customers were having. I have
no idea what they were thinking, it seems to me those kind of e-mails
would be useless.

Anyway - he went on vacation, and every customer mailing us with a tech
support issue got an auto-responder from him stating that he would get
back to them in 7 to 10 days ...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

<snip>*What was really bad - I worked at a company that had the bright idea of automagically copying the marketing director with all tech support mail so that he could see the kinds of issues customers were having. I have no idea what they were thinking, it seems to me those kind of e-mails would be useless.

Anyway - he went on vacation, and every customer mailing us with a tech support issue got an auto-responder from him stating that he would get back to them in 7 to 10 days ...
Michael: I thought the job of Marketing people (or so they would like to think) is to give the Engineering staff a set of specs, a budget and a time frame, that probably cannot be met; while promising everything to the customer, to get the sale. Lanny

Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 17:06 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@mac.com>
> wrote:
> <snip><snip>

> Michael: I thought the job of Marketing people (or so they would like
> to think) is to give the Engineering staff a set of specs, a budget

s/specs/incomplete, inaccurate, rapidly changing, and irrelevant &/
s/budget/inadequate &/

# You omitted important specifications of tha problem - are you in
# marketing? ;-) =:-O

> and a time frame, that probably cannot be met; while promising
> everything to the customer, to get the sale. Lanny
<snip>

In good fun,
--
Bill

Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 5:08 AM, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Michael: I thought the job of Marketing people (or so they would like

> to think) is to give the Engineering staff a set of specs, a budget

s/specs/incomplete, inaccurate, rapidly changing, and irrelevant &/

s/budget/inadequate &/

# You omitted important specifications of tha problem - are you in

# marketing? ;-) *=:-O
No. I worked in R&D (mostly Aerospace) and I'm now trying to reenter the job market. Almost always, I found that those of us in Engineering* were trying to comply with requirements that Marketing had given away to the customer and we couldn't complete the task within their time frame or budget.* Marketing will do anything (usually) to make the sale and then the Engineers try to get it done on time and within the budget. Remember the comparison between Engineers and Mushrooms......