-   -   Yogunluk (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/114870-yogunluk.html)

"Dennis McLeod" 06-27-2008 08:08 PM

Yogunluk

If I send him a message directly, and put him in the CC line too, will it
start a loop of auto-replies...?
How about I set up an account somewhere (gmail..), turn on a vacation
message , and then send him a message.....
Just thinking....
Dennis

"Sorin Srbu" 06-27-2008 08:26 PM

Yogunluk

You geeks have too much free time on your hands. ;->

"Dennis McLeod" 06-27-2008 08:40 PM

Yogunluk

I setup yogunluk@gmail.com, turned on the vacation responder, and sent him a
message.....
Unfortunately (smart they are) Gmail detects the issue and stops the loop
(although I replied to it a few times..........)
Anyway I cc'c the other addresses, maybe he'll get the hint...
Gonna go find something to do...
Dennis

"Sorin Srbu" 06-27-2008 09:54 PM

Yogunluk

LOL!

"William L. Maltby" 06-27-2008 11:16 PM

Yogunluk

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 22:26 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

And we intend to keep it that way by not having to pore through useless
automated trash postings caused by some "non geek"(?) having the
attention span of a gnat and forgetting to account for things like these
lists in his stupid vacation (or whatever) automated replies.

Alternately, we could avoid posting about such stuff until the
responsible list person is able to handle it. But where's the fun in not
picking on some hapless idiot?

--
Bill

"Lanny Marcus" 06-28-2008 11:41 PM

Yogunluk

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:16 PM, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 22:26 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:

I think people who use auto responders for their normal email account should get an additional email account, for the mailing lists they subscribe to, and NEVER use an auto responder on the email account for their mailing lists.* This happens frequently, on this mailing list and on others.

"Michael A. Peters" 06-29-2008 02:15 AM

Yogunluk

<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com <mailto:CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com>> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 22:26 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:

What was really bad - I worked at a company that had the bright idea of
automagically copying the marketing director with all tech support mail
so that he could see the kinds of issues customers were having. I have
no idea what they were thinking, it seems to me those kind of e-mails
would be useless.

Anyway - he went on vacation, and every customer mailing us with a tech
support issue got an auto-responder from him stating that he would get
back to them in 7 to 10 days ...

"Lanny Marcus" 06-29-2008 10:06 PM

Yogunluk