Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
"William L. Maltby"

Default Yogunluk

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 11:42 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 5:08 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>

> <snip>
> > Michael: I thought the job of Marketing people (or so they
> would like
> > to think) is to give the Engineering staff a set of specs, a
> budget
>

> s/specs/incomplete, inaccurate, rapidly changing, and
> irrelevant &/
> s/budget/inadequate &/
>
> # You omitted important specifications of tha problem - are
> you in
> # marketing? ;-) =:-O
>
> No. I worked in R&D (mostly Aerospace) and I'm now trying to reenter

I was seriously joking. Note the wink and amazement above.

> the job market. Almost always, I found that those of us in
> Engineering were trying to comply with requirements that Marketing
> had given away to the customer and we couldn't complete the task
> within their time frame or budget. Marketing will do anything
> (usually) to make the sale and then the Engineers try to get it done
> on time and within the budget. Remember the comparison between
> Engineers and Mushrooms......

I wish you good luck on the reentry (there's a pun there... aerospace).

Having been a mushroom... er software/systems and many related for a
long time, I know whereof you speak. That's what prompted me to add the
adjectives and the attempt at humor.

--
Bill

Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:08 PM, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:* **

<snip>

> had given away to the customer and we couldn't complete the task

> within their time frame or budget. *Marketing will do anything

> (usually) to make the sale and then the Engineers try to get it done

> on time and within the budget. Remember the comparison between

> Engineers and Mushrooms......

I wish you good luck on the reentry (there's a pun there... aerospace).*Bill: Thank you! It's an *uphill* battle. When the right Manager sees something on my resume that he/she needs for a project, it'll click.* My wife and I are fans of the Space Shuttle program* and we were at KSC to watch* a launch of Atlantis on 19 May 2000, when she was pregnant.* Reentry is difficult!* Launch is also incredibly dangerous. On TV, it looks almost routine....

Having been a mushroom... er software/systems and many related for a

long time, I know whereof you speak. That's what prompted me to add the

adjectives and the attempt at humor.*I read something in an IEEE publication, about 2 years ago, that I gave to a high school boy who lives in our subdivision, who was interested in going into Engineering, about why someone would go into Engineering, when they could become a doctor or lawyer or some other profession, with more stability and respect than Engineers frequently get.. This is way OT for the CentOS list... Lanny