-   -   Clamd not working (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/114779-clamd-not-working.html)

Anne Wilson 06-27-2008 05:43 PM

Clamd not working

Earlier this month I reported a problem in that ClamTK couldn't virus-scan a
file. This was cured by following the dev's instructions
<quote>
If you open up a terminal window and type "ls /var/clamav" (without
quotes of course), I'm betting you'll see a variety of files and/or
directories in there. If you're up for it, as root type
rm /var/clamav/* -rf
which will remove all the signatures. Don't worry, you'll get them
back in the next step. As root, type
freshclam -v
And that will download all the necessary signatures again.
</quote>

At that point I thought all was well - until I had to reboot, when I found
that it hung with a message (from memory) 'self-checking 1800'. Using
Interactive boot I discovered that it came from clamd.

I'm guessing that daily.cld main.cld and mirrors.dat are being sought
somewhere other than /var/clamav. Maybe a symlink is required? If someone
with a working clamd could advise me I'd be most grateful. For now I have
had to chkconfig clamd off.

Anne

Paul Schoonderwoerd 06-27-2008 10:35 PM

Clamd not working

On Friday 27 June 2008 19:43:06 Anne Wilson wrote:

> rm /var/clamav/* -rf
> which will remove all the signatures. Don't worry, you'll get them
> back in the next step. As root, type
> freshclam -v
> And that will download all the necessary signatures again.
> </quote>
>
> At that point I thought all was well - until I had to reboot, when I found
> that it hung with a message (from memory) 'self-checking 1800'. Using
> Interactive boot I discovered that it came from clamd.
>
> I'm guessing that daily.cld main.cld and mirrors.dat are being sought
> somewhere other than /var/clamav. Maybe a symlink is required? If someone
> with a working clamd could advise me I'd be most grateful. For now I have
> had to chkconfig clamd off.
>
> Anne

Does the /var/clamav dir still exist ? It is in the clamd rpm.
mirrors.dat, daily.cld and main.cld are in /var/clamav

It seems easiest to me to reinstall clamd and clamav.

Paul Schoonderwoerd