Old 06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

Default Kernel panic CentOS 5.2

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Grzesiek <grz3chu@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/3828/kernelpaniczm7.jpg

Another victim of : http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Grzesiek wrote:

Hi,

When I boot my dedicated server from netinstall cd, I see:

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/3828/kernelpaniczm7.jpg

And there is no way, currently, to do a clean install of 5.2.

You have to have 5.1 on the system, do a 5.2 upgrade, install the test
patched kernel, and then don't install any kernel patches until this one
gets incorporated...

System:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
- Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
- Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266 Host Bridge
- IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE
- ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
- PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
- USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
- (3x) USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
- VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]

Old 06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:

> And there is no way, currently, to do a clean install of 5.2.
>
> You have to have 5.1 on the system, do a 5.2 upgrade, install the test
> patched kernel, and then don't install any kernel patches until this one
> gets incorporated...

Or use this kernel
http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/x86_64/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.bz_pre53.x86_64.rpm
in the meantime.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Grzesiek

Thank you all. I tries to install 5.1 then I add option
"exclude=kernel*" in yum.conf, install testing kernel and upgrade to
5.2.
thanks again!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

And there is no way, currently, to do a clean install of 5.2.

You have to have 5.1 on the system, do a 5.2 upgrade, install the test
patched kernel, and then don't install any kernel patches until this one
gets incorporated...

Or use this kernel
http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/x86_64/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.bz_pre53.x86_64.rpm
in the meantime.
Assuming he read the bug report you pointed to, that was the test patch
kernel I refer to.

I have been speaking with Johnny about the steps to build a new ISO with
this patch, and it is not easy. I had forgotten about building the
stage2 image.