-   -   VNC vs GNOME desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/114655-vnc-vs-gnome-desktop.html)

fred smith 06-27-2008 02:33 PM

VNC vs GNOME desktop

I'm trying to use VNC to connect my home Centos box (up to date centos 5)
to my Centos 4 (also up to date) at work. I have no problem connecting.
The problem occurs after logging in, for every applet in the bottom Gnome
panel I get an error box from which I can choose to remove the applet
from the panel, or just go on. I choose to not delete but to just go on.
After I get a half dozen or so of those, the desktop is fully drawn,
except the bottom panel is completely empty. no desktop switcher, or
anything else.

I've googled and looked in centos forums and realvnc FAQs and don't
find any reference to such a problem.

Clues would be appreciated!

Here's the text from that dialog:

The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_howDesktopApplet".
Details: Failed to resolve, or extend
'!prefs_key=/apps/panel/applets/show_desktop_button/
Prefs;background=none:;orient=up;size=x-small;locked_down=false

Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

and I get that once for each applet.

here's the ~/.vnc/xstartup file from the server:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

The Lord is like a strong tower.

Robert Moskowitz 06-27-2008 02:50 PM

VNC vs GNOME desktop

fred smith wrote:

[...]

Replace that last line with:

exec gnome-session &

fred smith 06-27-2008 04:57 PM

VNC vs GNOME desktop

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:50:12AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> >I'm trying to use VNC to connect my home Centos box (up to date centos 5)
> >to my Centos 4 (also up to date) at work. I have no problem connecting.
> >The problem occurs after logging in, for every applet in the bottom Gnome
> >panel I get an error box from which I can choose to remove the applet
> >from the panel, or just go on. I choose to not delete but to just go on.
> >After I get a half dozen or so of those, the desktop is fully drawn,
> >except the bottom panel is completely empty. no desktop switcher, or
> >anything else.
> >
> >I've googled and looked in centos forums and realvnc FAQs and don't
> >find any reference to such a problem.
> >
> >Clues would be appreciated!
> >
> >Here's the text from that dialog:
> >
> > The panel encountered a problem while loading
> > "OAFIID:GNOME_howDesktopApplet".
> > Details: Failed to resolve, or extend
> > '!prefs_key=/apps/panel/applets/show_desktop_button/
> > Prefs;background=none:;orient=up;size=x-small;locked_down=false
> >
> > Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
> >
> >and I get that once for each applet.
> >
> >here's the ~/.vnc/xstartup file from the server:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
> > unset SESSION_MANAGER
> > exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> >
> > [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
> > [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> > xsetroot -solid grey
> > vncconfig -iconic &
> > xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> > twm &
> Replace that last line with:
>
> exec gnome-session &

Robert:

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give that a try, but I don't see how it will change anything... note
the line earlier that says:

exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

which should terminate the execution of this script.

While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.