Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 AM
"Brett Serkez"

Default 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5xen hangs Samba daemon

All,

I have a fresh CentOS 5.2 server that I am just starting to customize,
it is very close to stock.

This morning I ran yum update:

================================================== ===========================
Installing:
kernel-xen i686 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 updates 15 M
Updating:
samba i386 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 updates 16 M
samba-client i386 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 updates 4.9 M
samba-common i386 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 updates 8.7 M

After rebooting, Samba would not start, running 'service smb start'
simply hangs forever, nothing in the logs I could find and I could see
from ps that smbd was never forking to release the start script.

I discovered that if I boot using the previous kernel
2.6.18-92.1.1.el5xen all is well.

I did try regressing samba by uninstalling and then installing
disabling the updates repo to no avail, the older version (1.1) of
Samba was installed when I tried booting the older kernel, which did
work, as well as the updated version (1.6).

Brett

Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Johnny Hughes

Brett Serkez wrote:

[...]

OK ... a quick look through the upstream bugzilla does not show any
samba (smb) hangs related to the new kernel.

Can someone else confirm this problem ?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 27 June 2008 13:18, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Brett Serkez wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I have a fresh CentOS 5.2 server that I am just starting to customize,
> > it is very close to stock.
> >
> > This morning I ran yum update:
> >
> > ================================================== =======================
> >==== Installing:
> > kernel-xen i686 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 updates
> > 15 M Updating:
> > samba i386 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 updates
> > 16 M samba-client i386 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 updates
> > 4.9 M samba-common i386 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 updates
> > 8.7 M
> >
> > After rebooting, Samba would not start, running 'service smb start'
> > simply hangs forever, nothing in the logs I could find and I could see
> > from ps that smbd was never forking to release the start script.
> >
> > I discovered that if I boot using the previous kernel
> > 2.6.18-92.1.1.el5xen all is well.
> >
> > I did try regressing samba by uninstalling and then installing
> > disabling the updates repo to no avail, the older version (1.1) of
> > Samba was installed when I tried booting the older kernel, which did
> > work, as well as the updated version (1.6).
>
> OK ... a quick look through the upstream bugzilla does not show any
> samba (smb) hangs related to the new kernel.
>

> Can someone else confirm this problem ?

I'm running 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.bz_pre53 and samba is working for me. There was
an rpmnew question during the update. Could that be the problem?

Anne

Old 06-27-2008, 06:43 PM
"Brett Serkez"

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm running 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.bz_pre53 and samba is working for me. There was
> an rpmnew question during the update. Could that be the problem?

I run into the problem with: 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5xen, the xen version of
the kernel.

Just to re-verify the issue, I rebooted back to the above kernel and
this time Samba starts right up no problem!

I had tried this earlier and it did not. I'll have to keep an eye on
it over time and see if the behavior changes again.

Brett

Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
"Brett Serkez"

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Brett Serkez <bserkez@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm running 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.bz_pre53 and samba is working for me. There was
>> an rpmnew question during the update. Could that be the problem?
>
> I run into the problem with: 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5xen, the xen version of
> the kernel.
>
> Just to re-verify the issue, I rebooted back to the above kernel and
> this time Samba starts right up no problem!
>
> I had tried this earlier and it did not. I'll have to keep an eye on
> it over time and see if the behavior changes again.

Just as a follow up, after a reboot (without any updates) the network
on this system fails to start. Either the kernel or system seems
unstable, given this is a brand new system I suspect the kernel, I'll
have to go on-site to further investigate.

Brett