Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM
John Bowden

Default Torrent sharing question

Hi Folks.
Just a quick question. I have been sharing CenOS 5.0 and 5.1 since I down
loaded them. Now we are on to 5.2 is it still worth sharing them or can I
archive them to DVD and save some hard drive space?
Regards John
--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the houses of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)

Old 06-27-2008, 10:35 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

John Bowden <> scribbled on Friday, June 27, 2008 11:54 AM:

> Just a quick question. I have been sharing CenOS 5.0 and 5.1 since I down
> loaded them. Now we are on to 5.2 is it still worth sharing them or can I
> archive them to DVD and save some hard drive space?

I removed my 5.1 torrents couple of days ago, and only kept the most release
(5.2) recent seeding 24/7 at work.

Ppl still downloaded from them like crazy (had about 250kbps on each x64 and x86
DVD:s) on last monday for the past months or so, so you might want to seed those
a bit longer if you can. Maybe I should keep seeding 5.1 as well for another
while...

Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 12:35 +0200, Sorin@Gmail wrote:
> John Bowden <> scribbled on Friday, June 27, 2008 11:54 AM:
>
> > Just a quick question. I have been sharing CenOS 5.0 and 5.1 since I down
> > loaded them. Now we are on to 5.2 is it still worth sharing them or can I
> > archive them to DVD and save some hard drive space?
>
> I removed my 5.1 torrents couple of days ago, and only kept the most release
> (5.2) recent seeding 24/7 at work.
>
> Ppl still downloaded from them like crazy (had about 250kbps on each x64 and x86
> DVD:s) on last monday for the past months or so, so you might want to seed those
> a bit longer if you can. Maybe I should keep seeding 5.1 as well for another
> while...

I share the latest for a *long* time. During the period after major
update release, I share only the latest. The rational for this is that
the greatest demand will be for the latest, I have only a home
connection with limited upload bandwidth and it is most beneficial
allocated to where there is anticipated highest demand and greatest
number of benefiting users.

After a while, I add back in older releases.

--
Bill

Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Karanbir Singh

John Bowden wrote:

Hi Folks.
Just a quick question. I have been sharing CenOS 5.0 and 5.1 since I down
loaded them. Now we are on to 5.2 is it still worth sharing them or can I
archive them to DVD and save some hard drive space?
Regards John

We normally drop the torrents from the tracker around the time a new
version is released so you should as well. Do you even see any traffic
on these older torrents ?

By the way, I think we ( as a community ) should strongly discurage
people from installing older software specially since the older stuff
now has known and published widely bug's and potentially remote security
issues. Ofcourse there are people who will, due to whatever reason,
still want to get out there and install an older version - they are
welcome to use the vault.centos.org machines.

- KB

Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM
John Bowden

On Friday 27 June 2008 16:00:44 Karanbir Singh wrote:
> John Bowden wrote:
> > Hi Folks.
> > Just a quick question. I have been sharing CenOS 5.0 and 5.1 since I down
> > loaded them. Now we are on to 5.2 is it still worth sharing them or can I
> > archive them to DVD and save some hard drive space?
> > Regards John
>
> We normally drop the torrents from the tracker around the time a new
> version is released so you should as well. Do you even see any traffic
> on these older torrents ?
>
> By the way, I think we ( as a community ) should strongly discurage
> people from installing older software specially since the older stuff
> now has known and published widely bug's and potentially remote security
> issues. Ofcourse there are people who will, due to whatever reason,
> still want to get out there and install an older version - they are
> welcome to use the vault.centos.org machines.
>
> - KB

Ok I will archive them in the morning and save some space.
John

Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-27-2008 8:00 AM Karanbir Singh spake the following:

John Bowden wrote:

[...]

With exception to the people hit with the powernow glitch. They will never be
able to install with a 5.2 cd or dvd since the installer kernels probably
won't be changed unless by the slim chance that upstream does.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and