-   -   Silly question about 5.1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/11444-silly-question-about-5-1-a.html)

"David G. Miller" 12-03-2007 06:30 PM

Silly question about 5.1

I just rebooted my desktop system to pick up the 5.1 kernel, etc. One
oddity I noticed is that the contents of /etc/redhat-release still says:

[root@bend etc]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5 (Final)

but:

[root@bend etc]# rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/redhat-release
centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1

On my CentOS 4 box, /etc/redhat-release says:

[dave@fraud ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.5 (Final)

Shouldn't /etc/redhat-release on the CentOS 5 box say "5.1?"

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce

"Curt Micol" 12-03-2007 06:33 PM

Silly question about 5.1

Hello,

Yes, there is a bug open for this, listed here:
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2481

On Dec 3, 2007 2:30 PM, David G. Miller <dave@davenjudy.org> wrote:
> I just rebooted my desktop system to pick up the 5.1 kernel, etc. One
> oddity I noticed is that the contents of /etc/redhat-release still says:
>
> [root@bend etc]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>
> but:
>
> [root@bend etc]# rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/redhat-release
> centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1
>
> On my CentOS 4 box, /etc/redhat-release says:
>
> [dave@fraud ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 4.5 (Final)
>
> Shouldn't /etc/redhat-release on the CentOS 5 box say "5.1?"
>
> Cheers,
> Dave
>
> --
> Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
> -- Ambrose Bierce

Curt Micol
"Fear is winning, refuse to be terrorized, people." -- Bruce Schneier

Johnny Hughes 12-03-2007 11:33 PM

Silly question about 5.1

Curt Micol wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, there is a bug open for this, listed here:
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2481

IT'S ON PURPOSE, IT'S A FEATURE, NOT A BUG :-)

"Curt Micol" 12-04-2007 12:38 AM

Silly question about 5.1

On Dec 3, 2007 7:33 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> IT'S ON PURPOSE, IT'S A FEATURE, NOT A BUG :-)

Yes, I know, I've read it. I didn't add "report" to that statment. My bad. :)