Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 AM
tech

Default Automatic site selection for dowload

I would like to ask that more flexibility be built into automatically
choosing sites for downloading.

I have just upgraded to CentOS 5.2. When I look for a mirror, I get many
choices from Taiwan. Since I am in Hong Kong this makes sense
geographically but .... not in terms of bandwidth.

Although Taiwan is very close, it is almost the slowest connection I can
make. Some .jp sites are good but I find .sg or the US is usually best.

This morning I tried to update to the new kernel (92.1.6). My system
seemed to die during the download. After some investigation, I found
that Yum et al is being defaulted to .tw sites. (base, updates, add ons
all go to .tw.) I have now been sitting at base primary.xml.gz for over
15 minutes and am only about 50% done.

Is it possible when deciding these default sites to look at actual
bandwidth and not just geographical closeness?

Mel

Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Is it possible when deciding these default sites to look at actual
>bandwidth and not just geographical closeness?
>
>Mel

Me thinks they call that yum-fastestmirror

jlc

Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 AM
tech

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

Me thinks they call that yum-fastestmirror

Me thinks that doesn't work.

fastest mirror give me the lowest values for .tw sites. Which, I think
mean the fastest. They are in fact, the slowest. Here are some real numbers:

base 856 kb 27:38
updates 91 kb 1:20

kernel-devel died after 52:01

At this point several mirrors were tried finally a fast one was found
and things went quickly and smoothly.

Almost one hour and only 1.7 of 4.8 m was downloaded

This is typical for me getting data from .tw sites.

Mel

Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

Joseph L. Casale <> scribbled on Friday, June 27, 2008 9:29 AM:

>> Is it possible when deciding these default sites to look at actual
>> bandwidth and not just geographical closeness?
>>
>> Mel
>
> Me thinks they call that yum-fastestmirror

That addon rocks! Add the delta-addon as well, and you get really fast
updates! 8-D

Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Karanbir Singh

tech wrote:
I would like to ask that more flexibility be built into automatically
choosing sites for downloading.

You can always just disable the yum-fastestmirror plugin if its not
working well for you. In /etc/yum/pluginconf.d there should be a file
called fastestmirror.conf - look in there, and change enabled=1 to
enabled=0. Might be worth running it with verbose=1 for a little while
to work out whats going on. Perhaps also reduce the maxhostfileage value
to have fastestmirror speed check each mirror more often.

There is also always the option of only using mirrors you know work
well. To do that, comment out the mirrorlist= lines from
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and replace them with baseurl=<url to
mirror>. You can have multiple mirrors listed there. man yum.conf for
more info on that.

--
Karanbir Singh
CentOS Project { http://www.centos.org/ }

Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Karanbir Singh

Sorin@Gmail wrote:

That addon rocks! Add the delta-addon as well, and you get really fast
updates! 8-D

There is no functional delta-addon for yum in CentOS-5, are you getting
confused with Fedora here ?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:56 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

tech <> scribbled on Friday, June 27, 2008 9:57 AM:

> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
>> Me thinks they call that yum-fastestmirror
>
> Me thinks that doesn't work.

It works in Sweden. In fact the fastest-mirror thing works better now with the
v5.2 than ever before.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

Karanbir Singh <> scribbled on Friday, June 27, 2008 10:27 AM:

> tech wrote:
>> I would like to ask that more flexibility be built into automatically
>> choosing sites for downloading.
>
> You can always just disable the yum-fastestmirror plugin if its not
> working well for you. In /etc/yum/pluginconf.d there should be a file
> called fastestmirror.conf - look in there, and change enabled=1 to
> enabled=0. Might be worth running it with verbose=1 for a little while
> to work out whats going on. Perhaps also reduce the maxhostfileage value
> to have fastestmirror speed check each mirror more often.

I wonder if running "yum update yum*" first would help, before doing the full
"yum update"?

In my case with CentOS v5.2, I saw yum got updated too, and since then yum
works blazingly fast for me.

You might want to try it anyway. If it works better after the update, then
fine, you're all set for better speeds.

FWIW, I had slow speeds pre-5.2 as well.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

Karanbir Singh <> scribbled on Friday, June 27, 2008 10:28 AM:

> Sorin@Gmail wrote:
>> That addon rocks! Add the delta-addon as well, and you get really fast
>> updates! 8-D
>
> There is no functional delta-addon for yum in CentOS-5, are you getting
> confused with Fedora here ?

Umm... I might. I think it was called something like that at least . Lemme'
check. BRB.

Here; "rpm -qa *delta*" reports I have "deltarpm - 3.3-2.el5.rf.i386" installed
on my CentOS5.2-machine.

I got the impression this worked with CentOS5 anyway. At least I saw some stats
when running yum with my pre-5.2 CentOS flashing by. My understanding was that
the repo however had to be compatible with deltarpm for this to work at all.

So this doesn't work with CentOS then, correct?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 AM
tech

Karanbir Singh wrote:

You can always just disable the yum-fastestmirror plugin if its not
working well for you. In /etc/yum/pluginconf.d there should be a file
called fastestmirror.conf - look in there, and change enabled=1 to
enabled=0. Might be worth running it with verbose=1 for a little while
to work out whats going on. Perhaps also reduce the maxhostfileage value
to have fastestmirror speed check each mirror more often.

There is also always the option of only using mirrors you know work
well. To do that, comment out the mirrorlist= lines from
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and replace them with baseurl=<url to
mirror>. You can have multiple mirrors listed there. man yum.conf for
more info on that.

Thanks.

I have already set enable=0. That helps.

I will try your other suggestions.

I suspect this is something unique. Initial transfers are fast but then
things get very slow.