Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 AM
hce

Default Minimized Firefox is not visible on panel in CentOS 5.2

Hi,

I opened a Firefox on Desktop, but when I clicked Minimize Window
button, the Firefox disappeared and there was no icon on the panel, I
simply could not find it any more (it did not close), this was the
same for the terminal as well . How can I make the Firefox icon
visible on panel (or workplaces) even it was minimized?

Thank you.

Jim

Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 12:14 +1000, hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I opened a Firefox on Desktop, but when I clicked Minimize Window
> button, the Firefox disappeared and there was no icon on the panel, I
> simply could not find it any more (it did not close), this was the
> same for the terminal as well . How can I make the Firefox icon
> visible on panel (or workplaces) even it was minimized?
>
> Thank you.

I don't have a clue as to your problem or solution. But did you use the
the <ALT><TAB> to cycle through the running applications on that
workspace? If FF is still running, you should be able to see it there
and bring it to the foreground.

I've never experienced the problem you describe.

Have you gone through all your preference settings? Maybe there's some
odd thing there that has an effect. I can't see anything though.

Hmmm... This may be a stupid suggestion, but I'll say it anyway. Are
your screen resolutions switchable? When running a lower resolution,
part of the workspace, and so the panel, is out of the viewport. Moving
the mouse to bring the rest of the workspace back into view may show the
missing icon on part of the panel that was offscreen.

> Jim
> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-30-2008, 12:51 AM
hce

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 12:14 +1000, hce wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I opened a Firefox on Desktop, but when I clicked Minimize Window
>> button, the Firefox disappeared and there was no icon on the panel, I
>> simply could not find it any more (it did not close), this was the
>> same for the terminal as well . How can I make the Firefox icon
>> visible on panel (or workplaces) even it was minimized?
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> I don't have a clue as to your problem or solution. But did you use the
> the <ALT><TAB> to cycle through the running applications on that
> workspace? If FF is still running, you should be able to see it there
> and bring it to the foreground.

Yes, I can use the <ALT><TAB> to bring and cycle the applications, but
it was annoying everytime I have to cycle the applications. If I could
use the mouse to click the application on the panel, it saves me lot
of time.

> I've never experienced the problem you describe.
>
> Have you gone through all your preference settings? Maybe there's some
> odd thing there that has an effect. I can't see anything though.

I've never seen that kind of problem either in FC and Debian. I have
no clue what kind of the setting can be used to fix it, appreciate
anyone advice.

> Hmmm... This may be a stupid suggestion, but I'll say it anyway. Are
> your screen resolutions switchable? When running a lower resolution,
> part of the workspace, and so the panel, is out of the viewport. Moving
> the mouse to bring the rest of the workspace back into view may show the
> missing icon on part of the panel that was offscreen.

No the resolutions are not switchable.

Thank you.

Jim

Old 06-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Alex White

hce wrote:

Hi,

I opened a Firefox on Desktop, but when I clicked Minimize Window
button, the Firefox disappeared and there was no icon on the panel, I
simply could not find it any more (it did not close), this was the
same for the terminal as well . How can I make the Firefox icon
visible on panel (or workplaces) even it was minimized?

Thank you.

Jim

Have you tried (re)adding the window list to the panel? Perhaps it
was deleted (accidentally or through some setting hiccup)?

I've deleted the application window list before and had to re-add
it. Simply right click the panel you want the list on and then
choose Add to panel. You'll get a list of items to add the one
you're looking for is Window List. You can also try Window Selector
I think it is. It's slightly different but same principle.

Sincerely,

Alex White
--
ethericalzen@gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release

Old 07-01-2008, 12:35 AM
hce

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Alex White <ethericalzen@gmail.com> wrote:
> hce wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I opened a Firefox on Desktop, but when I clicked Minimize Window
>> button, the Firefox disappeared and there was no icon on the panel, I
>> simply could not find it any more (it did not close), this was the
>> same for the terminal as well . How can I make the Firefox icon
>> visible on panel (or workplaces) even it was minimized?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Have you tried (re)adding the window list to the panel? Perhaps it was
> deleted (accidentally or through some setting hiccup)?
>
> I've deleted the application window list before and had to re-add it. Simply
> right click the panel you want the list on and then choose Add to panel.
> You'll get a list of items to add the one you're looking for is Window List.
> You can also try Window Selector I think it is. It's slightly different but
> same principle.

Thanks Alex, that was the tricky.

Kind Regards,

Jim