Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Johnny Hughes

Default crashes on dual-PIII Compaq ProLiant 3000

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
After yum upgrade, the new CentOS5 kernel [
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.i686 ] crashes each time early in boot
process on Compaq ProLiant 3000
with dual Pentium3 CPU (600 MHz, CPU0: Intel Pentium III (Katmai)
stepping 03, CPU1 the same).

I get kernel panic at powernowk8_init+0x05e/0x1c3.

The previous kernel [ kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.i686 ] seems to work
fine.

I am wondering if anyone has met this on PIII CPU ?

I have found 99.9% identical problem on
http://www.nabble.com/net-5501-and-RHEL5.2-td18024549.html

(only esp and task slightly different from what I have seen on screen
after crash,
all other registers, call trace, code bytes identical to my case) ,
but that was on a different CPU.

On the other hand, I run CentOS upgraded to 5.2 on a home PC with PIII
(single CPU,

Abit motherboard with i440BX chipset) with no problem.

Is it normal, that powernowk8_init gets called on PIII CPU?

We have created a new test kernel that has an upstream patch to fix this
issue, please test this and see if it fixes your issues:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/kernel/5/bz443853/

I have heard off list that this kernel does solve the problem with
powernow-k8.

As always though, this kernel will be available to people with the
problem (at the above link), however we won't officially release it as a
replacement until it is in an upstream kernel and released into the tree
by them.

This is even worse because it renders the install media worthless on
these machines, and I am sorry, but upstream needs to initiate things in
the main tree.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 27 June 2008 02:36, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
> >> After yum upgrade, the new CentOS5 kernel [
> >> kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.i686 ] crashes each time early in boot
> >> process on Compaq ProLiant 3000
> >> with dual Pentium3 CPU (600 MHz, CPU0: Intel Pentium III (Katmai)
> >> stepping 03, CPU1 the same).
> >>
> >> I get kernel panic at powernowk8_init+0x05e/0x1c3.
> >>
> >> The previous kernel [ kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.i686 ] seems to work
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> I am wondering if anyone has met this on PIII CPU ?
> >>
> >> I have found 99.9% identical problem on
> >> http://www.nabble.com/net-5501-and-RHEL5.2-td18024549.html
> >>
> >> (only esp and task slightly different from what I have seen on screen
> >> after crash,
> >> all other registers, call trace, code bytes identical to my case) ,
> >> but that was on a different CPU.
> >>
> >> On the other hand, I run CentOS upgraded to 5.2 on a home PC with PIII
> >> (single CPU,
> >> Abit motherboard with i440BX chipset) with no problem.
> >>
> >> Is it normal, that powernowk8_init gets called on PIII CPU?
> >
> > We have created a new test kernel that has an upstream patch to fix this
> > issue, please test this and see if it fixes your issues:
> >
> > http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/kernel/5/bz443853/
>
> I have heard off list that this kernel does solve the problem with
> powernow-k8.
>
> As always though, this kernel will be available to people with the
> problem (at the above link), however we won't officially release it as a
> replacement until it is in an upstream kernel and released into the tree
> by them.
>
> This is even worse because it renders the install media worthless on
> these machines, and I am sorry, but upstream needs to initiate things in
> the main tree.

I have an Athlon 64 X2 4200+, and that hit the powernow-k8 problem too. I
installed your test kernel which has cured it. Thanks

Anne

Old 07-01-2008, 07:28 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Of
>MHR
>Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 3:14 AM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 5.2 kernel [2.6.18-92.1.1.el5] crashes on
dual-PIII
>Compaq ProLiant 3000
>
>> I have an Athlon 64 X2 4200+, and that hit the powernow-k8 problem too. I
>> installed your test kernel which has cured it. Thanks
>>

>Interesting - I have an Athlon 64 x2 4200+ that had no problems
>booting the 5.2 kernel after an update, nor downloading and installing
>the 92.1.6 source, nor rebuilding it with NTFS support added, nor
>booting there, either.

I run CentOS x86 and x64 versions both at home and at work as virtual machines
under VMware Server v1.0.6 using Amd Athlon64 X2 4400+ CPU:s. No problems
detected.

What's supposed to be problem? I missed the previous mails in this thread, but
the Amd X2 caught my eye. 8-}

Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Karanbir Singh

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> What's supposed to be problem? I missed the previous mails in this thread, but
> the Amd X2 caught my eye. 8-}

at the bottom of every email on this list is a url pointing to the
archieves, is there something preventing you from clicking through ?