Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
"Bart Schaefer"

Default what happened to netconfig in 5.1

On Dec 3, 2007 11:10 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> I am doing a yum install netconfig on the new 5.1
> and nothing gets installed. Was it removed? replaced with something else?

As it happens, I *just* read this in the RHEL5.1 release notes a few
moments ago:

* pump is deprecated in this update. As such, configuring your network
interface through netconfig may result in broken ifcfg scripts.

To properly configure your network interface, use system-config-network
instead. Installing the updated system-config-network package removes
netconfig.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Jerry Geis

I am doing a yum install netconfig on the new 5.1
and nothing gets installed. Was it removed? replaced with something else?

yum provides netconfig does not show a "bin" command just false matches.

Is there a new command?

Thanks,

Jerry

Looks like system-config-network has replaced it. AHHH!
when I run this command it does not show my eth0 as forcedeth
it is showing my T1 digium card as eth0.

Very shocked this command was removed from 5.0 to 5.1 release. What are
they thinking?

Jerry

Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Jerry Geis

>/
/>/ I am doing a yum install netconfig on the new 5.1
/>/ and nothing gets installed. Was it removed? replaced with something else?
/>/
/>/ yum provides netconfig does not show a "bin" command just false matches.
/>/
/>/ Is there a new command?
/>/
/>/ Thanks,
/>/
/>/ Jerry
/

Looks like system-config-network has replaced it. AHHH!
when I run this command it does not show my eth0 as forcedeth
it is showing my T1 digium card as eth0.

Very shocked this command was removed from 5.0 to 5.1 release. What are
they thinking?

To make matters worse - I just ran system-config-network. It does
not automatically stop the existing dhcpclient running.
Netconfig used to do this.

I used to let DHCP run to setup the box as I install the OS.
Later when I receive IP information - I would just run netconfig.
then do service network restart and the box would be live.

When I run system-config-network it gives me errors about the
dhcpclient still running.

Jerry

Old 12-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Drew Weaver

I also noticed that minicom isn't installed, although not a big deal it was nice to know it was there in a pinch and it couldn't have been very heavy weight...

-Drew