Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 PM
"Art Age Software"

Default Starting a Local CentOS Mirror

Hi all,

I would like to set up a local CentOS mirror, as suggested by others
on this list, to cut down on bandwidth usage, etc. I have read a
couple HowTos and it seems pretty straight-forward, but I do have some
questions.

1) How should I change my entries in /etc/yum.repos.d? Specifically,
should I replace CentOS-Base.repo with my own .repo file?

2) Is there a way to configure yum to prefer the local repo, but use
an external mirror if the local is not available?

3) What is the best practice around keeping the local repo updated? A
once-a-day cron job to rsync from an external mirror? If this is the
correct approach, is there a way to rsync from a "mirror list" so that
updates won't fail if a particular mirror happens to be unavailable
when the cron job runs?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I want to be sure
I get this right!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
"Jason Pyeron"

I don't like fidling with files that are provided by rpms, so we use a local DNS
override on the mirrors.centos.org, et al

Then we provide yum & up2date with the mirror list to choose from (1 entry our
local mirror)

> 2) Is there a way to configure yum to prefer the local repo,
> but use an external mirror if the local is not available?

See above and update your returned list based on prefences.

> 3) What is the best practice around keeping the local repo
> updated? A once-a-day cron job to rsync from an external
> mirror?

Every ~17 hours I think we do it. We also use locks to prevent more than one
from running at a time. If it fails it will try again, and delay 2x and try
again, repeat...

> If this is the correct approach, is there a way to
> rsync from a "mirror list" so that updates won't fail if a
> particular mirror happens to be unavailable when the cron job runs?

Hmm, don't know, might be a good idea.

> Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I want to
> be sure I get this right!

Will attach our script in reply to this message

- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately. Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 PM
"Jason Pyeron"

[root@host67 mirrors]# cat centos.sh
#!/bin/bash

lockfile=$0.lck

unset interactive
unset verbose
interval="20 hours"
verbose="-q"

while [ "$1" != "" ]
do case $1 in

--bwlimit=*)
limit="--bwlimit=64"
;;
--interactive)
interactive=true
;;
-t)
interval="$2"
shift
;;
--prune)
export prune="--delete-excluded"
;;
-v)
verbose="-v -v --progress"
interactive=true
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0"
exit 1
esac

shift

done

if ( set -o noclobber; echo "$$" > "$lockfile") 2> /dev/null;

then

trap 'rm -f "$lockfile"; exit $?' INT TERM EXIT

# echo
rsync -azH
--delete
rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/
--exclude-from=centos.excludes
$verbose
$limit
$prune
centos/

rm -f "$lockfile"
trap - INT TERM EXIT

if [ "$interactive" != "true" ]
then

export limit
export interval
echo $0 | at now + 20 hours > /dev/null 2> /dev/null

fi

fi
[root@host67 mirrors]# cat centos.excludes
/2/
/2.1/
/3/
/3.0/
/3.1/
/3.2/
/3.3/
/3.4/
/3.5/
/3.6/
/3.7/
/3.8/
/3.9/
/5.0/
*/alpha/
*/s390x/
*/s390/
*/ia64/
*/SRPMS/*.iso
[root@host67 mirrors]#

- -

Old 06-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Johnny Hughes

Art Age Software wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to set up a local CentOS mirror, as suggested by others
on this list, to cut down on bandwidth usage, etc. I have read a
couple HowTos and it seems pretty straight-forward, but I do have some
questions.

1) How should I change my entries in /etc/yum.repos.d? Specifically,
should I replace CentOS-Base.repo with my own .repo file?

You probably need to edit your CentOS-Base.repo file. See my suggested
way in the answer to your next question.

2) Is there a way to configure yum to prefer the local repo, but use
an external mirror if the local is not available?

Yes

You can just add one baseurl=<local_path> line to your CentOS-Base.repo
file for each section ([base], [updates], etc.) ... while still leaving
the "mirrorlist=" one enabled. Then install the yum-fastestmirror
plugin ... fastest mirror SHOULD always pick your local mirror, and if
it is not available it should pick the next fastest one listed.

3) What is the best practice around keeping the local repo updated? A
once-a-day cron job to rsync from an external mirror? If this is the
correct approach, is there a way to rsync from a "mirror list" so that
updates won't fail if a particular mirror happens to be unavailable
when the cron job runs?

We do not provide public syncs from our infrastructure except for
"public mirrors" (people who are allowing public access to their
mirrors) ... however, there are about 200 public mirrors, some of which
provide rsync. Here is the list of public mirrors:

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes