-   -   Fonts SIG Request (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/114277-fonts-sig-request.html)

Stojan Dimitrovski 06-26-2008 09:27 PM

Fonts SIG Request

Hello everyone,

I was playing around today and I made this banner for the Fonts SIG
request up in DesignService. The idea behind it is that before computers
there were typewriters and presses. They used little metal letters which
when covered with ink/carbon they left an impression on the paper. So I
tired to recreate that with Inkscape. Of course they aren't a full
representation of the metal-type (something like Linotype), but close
enough (it's hard to recreate metal with Inkscape).

I used MgOpen Modata for all fonts. The first letters are latin but used
in many, many alphabets. The other ones are from the Malayalam alphabet
(Why? Because I think they are one of the most stylish letters ever
written!). I do not know their meaning or anything, but they look very
good.

Hope you like it and please do not be shy to beat me up if you don't
like it (make sure you say why you don't like it).

Thanks!

--
Stojan Dimitrovski

Web: http://stojance.lugola.net/
IM: sdimitrovski@gmail.com; sdimitrovski@aol.com;
sdimitrovski@hotmail.com
IRC: act1v8 @ Freenode; sometimes act1v8 @ GimpNet
DeviantART: http://act1v8.deviantart.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Act1v8
Muxtape: http://act1v8.muxtape.com

"Tyler Carpenter" 06-27-2008 03:35 AM

Fonts SIG Request

I hope I am sending this to the right place!

I love the font

[...]

-Spaz Spontaneous-

Nicu Buculei 06-27-2008 06:15 AM

Fonts SIG Request

Stojan Dimitrovski wrote:

Hello everyone,

Hi,

I was playing around today and I made this banner for the Fonts SIG
request up in DesignService. The idea behind it is that before computers
there were typewriters and presses. They used little metal letters which
when covered with ink/carbon they left an impression on the paper. So I
tired to recreate that with Inkscape. Of course they aren't a full
representation of the metal-type (something like Linotype), but close
enough (it's hard to recreate metal with Inkscape).

While the ultimate decision of taking or rejecting the banner stands
with the people on the Fonts SIG, I can say it looks like a good start
for me (but I think you have some work to do).

I used MgOpen Modata for all fonts. The first letters are latin but used
in many, many alphabets. The other ones are from the Malayalam alphabet
(Why? Because I think they are one of the most stylish letters ever
written!). I do not know their meaning or anything, but they look very
good.

Hope you like it and please do not be shy to beat me up if you don't
like it (make sure you say why you don't like it).

Look at the page where the banner will be used:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Fonts_SIG - your background color
does not match (and does not match the rest of the banners on our wiki).

Also look at other banners, like this one:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

Add a shadow at the text bottom, to match our general style.

The reflection is wrong, it is a transparent gradient, bu the
orientation should be inverse, you want more opacity near the start
(top) and decreasing (to complete transparency at the extremity).

"ryan lerch" 06-27-2008 06:56 AM

Fonts SIG Request

a while back i did a sample wiki banner template using clones...
you can get it here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Defaultbanner.svg

cheers,

ryanlerch

Nicu Buculei 06-27-2008 07:23 AM

Fonts SIG Request

ryan lerch wrote:

a while back i did a sample wiki banner template using clones...
you can get it here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Defaultbanner.svg

Thanks! I really needed it a couple of days ago when explaining on the
list to someone about creating banners (for the kids spin).

"ryan lerch" 06-27-2008 07:32 AM

Fonts SIG Request

yeah, i never actually uploaded it to the wiki (i did it before i had wiki access)

but now ir is in the wiki on the promo banners page in the artteam section...

cheers,

ryanlerch

"Stojan Dimitrovski" 06-27-2008 02:24 PM

Fonts SIG Request

Hi again,

Here is the changed banner with the sugesstions from Nicu and based on the Default Banner Template. I really do think this way it's better, however before these emails were sent (Nicu's and Ryan's) I had no idea how to make a fedoraproject.org compatible banner. Why? Because I dugg arround the wiki and was unable to find anything which gave specifications on the text, or the illustration, or the background, etc.

It is licensed as CC-Attribution.

Hope you like it.

~act1v8

Nicu Buculei 06-27-2008 02:52 PM

Fonts SIG Request

Stojan Dimitrovski wrote:

Hi again,

Hi,

how to make a fedoraproject.org <http://fedoraproject.org> compatible
banner. Why? Because I dugg arround the wiki and was unable to find
anything which gave specifications on the text, or the illustration, or
the background, etc.

Well, if you went to our team page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork and clicked on the banner, then
you got
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Artwork_ArtTeamProjects_WikiDesign_ArtTeamN1 .png

Replace the .png extension with .svg and get the source
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Artwork_ArtTeamProjects_WikiDesign_ArtTeamN1 .svg
(that's because they were migrated from the old wiki to the new one)

However, that is not the best example as the banner was created before
we settled on the MgOpen Modata font (someone [me?] should update it
sometime...)

It is licensed as CC-Attribution.

Or is it OPL? I am not sure... whatever.

Hope you like it.

I would only move the text a bit to the right, like in your first version.

Nicu Buculei 06-27-2008 02:53 PM

Fonts SIG Request

ryan lerch wrote:

a while back i did a sample wiki banner template using clones...
you can get it here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Defaultbanner.svg

Do you think it is a good idea to remake all the banners using the
MgOpen Modata font?

"Stojan Dimitrovski" 06-27-2008 04:49 PM

Fonts SIG Request

Okay. I moved the text a little to the right and upon the approval of the Fonts SIG I will declare the status of the request as Completed.