Old 06-26-2008, 06:35 PM
John R Pierce

Default is centos update safe

fabian dacunha wrote:

i jus wanted to know if i could SAFELY apply the updates since its a live
server running our companys primary DNS and mail server

noone has your exact configuration, so the only way to know if it will
for sure work for you would be to test it on a staging server configured
identically to your production server, or at least, make full backups of
your system so you can restore it if something goes wrong.

generally, updates are safe if your system is clean and doesn't have its
system components polluted by non-distribution code.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

Why don't you clone your machine, or use Vmware or something, and do an test
before you do it with your production-machine? Asking this sort of question is,
well, rather meaningless IMO. Your setup is unique considering what tweaks you
might've done to it. YMMV as they say. What works for me, doesn't necessarily
work for you, or vice versa.

Testing before use in sharp situations is always a good idea, although I've been
pampered and spoiled by CentOS's stability on inplace-upgrades, like this last
one. 8-}