Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Kernel panic from install CD

I have a bunch of DecTOPs. Use the AMD Geode chip.

Yesterday I upgraded one of them, and got the dreaded Kernel panic.
Something about powernowk8. I could boot up with the old kernel, though.

I know I have to put in a bug report on this, will do shortly, but first
wanted to try a fresh install on another DecTOP. At the prompt, I
specified: linux askmethod

After it loaded the kernel, it died with the same Kernel panic. This is
bad. Very bad. If they fix the kernel (when, please?), I will need to
make a new install CD (how?). Yes, I can put the drive in another
system, do the install, move the drive, then run system-config-display,
but I was hoping that 5.2 fixed the install problems i was having on
these DecTOPs with 5.1....

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have a bunch of DecTOPs. Use the AMD Geode chip.
>
> Yesterday I upgraded one of them, and got the dreaded Kernel panic.
> Something about powernowk8. I could boot up with the old kernel, though.

Read the Release Notes.

> I know I have to put in a bug report on this, will do shortly, but first
> wanted to try a fresh install on another DecTOP. At the prompt, I
> specified: linux askmethod

That already happened:

<http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912> (and there is a link to the
upstream bug there).

Ralph

Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I have a bunch of DecTOPs. Use the AMD Geode chip.

Yesterday I upgraded one of them, and got the dreaded Kernel panic.
Something about powernowk8. I could boot up with the old kernel, though.

Read the Release Notes.

Now I have to find them again... '
I know I have to put in a bug report on this, will do shortly, but first
wanted to try a fresh install on another DecTOP. At the prompt, I
specified: linux askmethod

That already happened:

<http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912> (and there is a link to the
upstream bug there).

I just added my comment.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

After it loaded the kernel, it died with the same Kernel panic. This is
bad. Very bad. If they fix the kernel (when, please?), I will need to
make a new install CD (how?).

you can run the 5.1 installer, with extra repo's for 5.2's base repo.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

After it loaded the kernel, it died with the same Kernel panic. This is
bad. Very bad. If they fix the kernel (when, please?), I will need to
make a new install CD (how?).

you can run the 5.1 installer, with extra repo's for 5.2's base repo.

This is interesting....

Where do I specify the 5.2 base repo http url?

Can I load from the 5.1 install CD, going to askmethod and just point to
the 5.2 base repo URL?

Of course for the later, I still have the 92 kernel that does not work
and need to get the 53 kernel on board (I could make a 'special' repo
for this, YUCK!).

Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

you can run the 5.1 installer, with extra repo's for 5.2's base repo.

This is interesting....

Where do I specify the 5.2 base repo http url?

This is where I tell you to run the GUI installed, and add the url at
the 'most appropriate place', like when it asks you if you want extra /
external repos's

Can I load from the 5.1 install CD, going to askmethod and just point to
the 5.2 base repo URL?

what did you try and how did you fail ? Specially interesting would be
when you tried the 5.1 installer from the 5.2 cd's.

- KB

Old 06-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-26-2008 7:16 AM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I have a bunch of DecTOPs. Use the AMD Geode chip.

Yesterday I upgraded one of them, and got the dreaded Kernel panic.
Something about powernowk8. I could boot up with the old kernel,
though.

Read the Release Notes.

Now I have to find them again... '
I know I have to put in a bug report on this, will do shortly, but
first wanted to try a fresh install on another DecTOP. At the
prompt, I specified: linux askmethod

That already happened:

<http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912> (and there is a link to the
upstream bug there).

I just added my comment.
Has anyone tried the 2.6.18-92.1.6 kernel released today to see if this
problem went away?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

you can run the 5.1 installer, with extra repo's for 5.2's base repo.

This is interesting....

Where do I specify the 5.2 base repo http url?

This is where I tell you to run the GUI installed, and add the url at
the 'most appropriate place', like when it asks you if you want extra
/ external repos's

OK, I will try this next.

Can I load from the 5.1 install CD, going to askmethod and just point to
the 5.2 base repo URL?

what did you try and how did you fail ? Specially interesting would be
when you tried the 5.1 installer from the 5.2 cd's.
I tried a 'standard' 5.2 install. I booted from 5.2 CD 1of6 and at the
prompt supplied:

linux askmethod (my plan was to select http to access my 5.2 local repo).

The 5.2 kernel was loaded off the CD and promptly got a Kernel Panic.

Thus if were to try and mix 5.1 with 5.2, I HAVE to start the install
with the 5.1 10f6 CD. Then I either point to the 5.2 local repo URL or
point to the 5.1 local repo URL and then supply the 5.2 repo as 'extra'.
I suspect the former will fail as it will install the 5.2 kernel and
that gets the Kernel Panic...

sniff. I REALLY need to get these DecTOPs up and working I committed to
a demo of SIP over HIP at the IETF the end of July....

Old 06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I have a bunch of DecTOPs. Use the AMD Geode chip.

Yesterday I upgraded one of them, and got the dreaded Kernel
panic. Something about powernowk8. I could boot up with the old
kernel, though.

Read the Release Notes.

Now I have to find them again... '
I know I have to put in a bug report on this, will do shortly, but
first wanted to try a fresh install on another DecTOP. At the
prompt, I specified: linux askmethod

That already happened:

<http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912> (and there is a link to the
upstream bug there).

I just added my comment.
Has anyone tried the 2.6.18-92.1.6 kernel released today to see if
this problem went away?
This is an open bug at Redhat. Originally they said, 'gee we will fix
this for 5.3'. Tim Verhoeven pointed out that would leave all of us
with this problem back at the 5.1 kernel and no security patches until
5.3. I pointed out that you cannot even do a fresh install of 5.2 on
such a server. Hopefully, they will get the message and fix this.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Thus if were to try and mix 5.1 with 5.2, I HAVE to start the install
with the 5.1 10f6 CD. Then I either point to the 5.2 local repo URL or
point to the 5.1 local repo URL and then supply the 5.2 repo as 'extra'.
I suspect the former will fail as it will install the 5.2 kernel and
that gets the Kernel Panic...

you need to sit back, think about the situation... eg. how about a yum
install kernel-<version you know that works and would be in the 5.1 repo >

Take a bit of time, play with what you have, there are quite a few
options you can use to get where you want to be. Thats one of the really
cool things about the distro installer and where it's at these days.

- KB