Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Scott Silva

Default Kernel panic from install CD

on 6-26-2008 10:54 AM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

Scott Silva wrote:

on 6-26-2008 7:16 AM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I have a bunch of DecTOPs. Use the AMD Geode chip.

Yesterday I upgraded one of them, and got the dreaded Kernel
panic. Something about powernowk8. I could boot up with the old
kernel, though.

Read the Release Notes.

Now I have to find them again... '
I know I have to put in a bug report on this, will do shortly, but
first wanted to try a fresh install on another DecTOP. At the
prompt, I specified: linux askmethod

That already happened:

<http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912> (and there is a link to the
upstream bug there).

I just added my comment.
Has anyone tried the 2.6.18-92.1.6 kernel released today to see if
this problem went away?
This is an open bug at Redhat. Originally they said, 'gee we will fix
this for 5.3'. Tim Verhoeven pointed out that would leave all of us
with this problem back at the 5.1 kernel and no security patches until
5.3. I pointed out that you cannot even do a fresh install of 5.2 on
such a server. Hopefully, they will get the message and fix this.
I just wondered if a 5.1 install with this latest kernel as an update and
reboot. If the problem goes away then you could install with a 5.1 netboot cd.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and