Old 06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default updating to 5.2 from local repo

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

This is my first major version update after using a local repo.
It seems that before I can "yum update" I have to fetch the complete new
5.2 base? Is this correct?

You can build your base repo from the iso images via Nautilus. Right
click on the iso image file and open with the Archive Manager, then
extract the contents to a directory. You will have to set permissions
to the created directories to 755.

Then do an rsync to the mirror base, you will pick a few fixes.

Building your 5.2/update repo directory is about a 900Mb download. No
easy way around this.

BTW, I have done all this this week.
When I run yum update it now fails with various strange dependency errors
although all the updates are synced. When I change to using the original
repo file it wants to download many many more and shows a lot of files
that are in base and not in updates.

Did you do a yum clean all first? that was giving me all sorts of errors.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Ned Slider

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

This is my first major version update after using a local repo.
It seems that before I can "yum update" I have to fetch the complete new
5.2 base? Is this correct?
When I run yum update it now fails with various strange dependency errors
although all the updates are synced. When I change to using the original
repo file it wants to download many many more and shows a lot of files
that are in base and not in updates.

Kai

That's correct - you'll need the full base, not just updates.

The new base is actually "5.2", and updates are merely packages released
_since_ upstream released 5.2 a month ago.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> This is my first major version update after using a local repo.
> It seems that before I can "yum update" I have to fetch the complete new
> 5.2 base? Is this correct?

Yes. updates/ is rebased on the current os/ repo.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Robert Moskowitz wrote on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:37:32 -0400:

> You can build your base repo from the iso images via Nautilus.

Well, I don't have the iso here ;-) I install via http from local repos since
5.1 came out. But I didn't sync base since then as it wasn't necessary
(nothing's going to change). Now it is.

> Did you do a yum clean all first? that was giving me all sorts of errors.

After I got the same errors I did a clean for metadata, headers and dbcache.
Then running against the mirror list was fine. I assume the cleaning of the
headers fixed it. Once my base sync is finished I'm gonna clean again and then
try the update again.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Kai Schaetzl wrote on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:24:23 +0200:

> Once my base sync is finished I'm gonna clean again and then
> try the update again.

Dependency resolution works now, but I hold with upgrading until I get
some feedback from people who updated (hopefully) fine with Xen 3.2
installed.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany