Old 06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
"MOKRANI Rachid"

Default can't burn CD RW

Hi,

I'm using Centos 2.4.21-37.ELsmp.

Under root user I can erase and burn a CDRW with succes.

But under normal user it's impossible and the following error message appeared

this is on the same machine.

Any help ?

Under normal user: Error !
--------------------------

/usr/bin/cdrecord -v dev=4,0,0 blank=fast
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a32-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '4,0,0'
scsibus: 4 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Segmentation fault

With root user: Succes !
-----------------------

# /usr/bin/cdrecord -v dev=4,0,0 blank=fast
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a32-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '4,0,0'
scsibus: 4 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'PHILIPS '
Identifikation : 'DVD+-RW DVD8801 '
Revision : '4D28'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x000A
Profile: 0x002B
Profile: 0x001B
Profile: 0x001A
Profile: 0x0014
Profile: 0x0013
Profile: 0x0011
Profile: 0x0010
Profile: 0x000A (current)
Profile: 0x0009
Profile: 0x0008
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1073152 = 1048 KB
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 5
Reference speed: 2
Is not unrestricted
Is erasable
ATIP start of lead in: -11635 (97:26/65)
ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
1T speed low: 0 (reserved val 0) 1T speed high: 4
2T speed low: 8 2T speed high: 0 (reserved val 10)
power mult factor: 4 6
recommended erase/write power: 3
A1 values: 02 4C B0
A2 values: 4A C8 36
Disk type: Phase change
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4.0 in real BLANK mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Performing OPC...
Blanking PMA, TOC, pregap
Blanking time: 49.918

__________________________

Ce message (et toutes ses pièces jointes éventuelles) est confidentiel et établi à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme à sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. L'IFP décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message.

This message and any attachments (the message) are confidential and intended solely for the addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. IFP should not be liable for this message.

Visitez notre site Web / Visit our web site : http://www.ifp.fr

Old 06-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Tru Huynh

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 02:58:59PM +0200, MOKRANI Rachid wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Rachid,

Gentle quidelines reminder:
- don't hijack threads, create a new one.

> I'm using Centos 2.4.21-37.ELsmp.
Under CentOS 3, you should be running 2.4.21-57.ELsmp...

> Under root user I can erase and burn a CDRW with succes.
permissions issues, probably.

> But under normal user it's impossible and the following error message appeared
> this is on the same machine.

What are the permissions of your /dev/{cdrom/cdwriter}?

you could probably make a specific cdrecoed entry in /etc/sudoers
and use sudo(8).

Cheers,

Tru