-   -   Force reinstallation of packages Was: Root-filesystem remounts as read-only during 5.2 upgrade (system completely shoot) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/113959-force-reinstallation-packages-root-filesystem-remounts-read-only-during-5-2-upgrade-system-completely-shoot.html)

"William L. Maltby" 06-26-2008 10:51 AM

Force reinstallation of packages Was: Root-filesystem remounts as read-only during 5.2 upgrade (system completely shoot)

WARNING! Due to my background, I don't often read man pages like I used
to. So there may be some inaccuracies or ambiguities below.

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 11:58 +0200, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
> <snip>

> Sorry. Stupid question again: and if I find inconsistencies, then the

Keep in mind that *some* inconsistencies are expected. Local config
files being one good example. You must look at the codes displayed in
the output, and possibly the files, to be sure it is really a
discrepancy.

> only way to force rpm to correct them yould be something like
>
> yum remove offendingPackage
> yum install offendingPackage
>
> or the equivalent rpm-commands?

Not the only way, but probably the safest. However, that may try to also
remove some dependencies, depending on the package you're trying to
remove.

I seem to recall a "force" parameter that is available for rpm and yum.
Although normally disparaged, this is a perfect situation for its use.

> Currently the machine behaves quite strange:
> - Boots OK
> - Lets users log in and most applications work
> - Firefox works only for root
> - yumex hangs at starting

Depending on your time-frame, this may be a symptom of the load on the
servers you access. Yesterday A.M. I saw *BIG* delays downloading the
xml(?) files. But I use yum CLI, so I see the blood-n-guts on the
screen. <BIAS> GUIs suck... in general</BIAS>

> - "man rpm" says XXX WARNING: old character encoding and/or character set
>
> All this leads me to the conclusion that there are only some selected
> packages corrupt (and I don't want to reinstall the machine). Would
> Installing/Repairing from DVD help?

Maybe. But some of the rpms might be on your system from the update
activities. Do and updatedb and then a locate .rpm. You may see some
in /var/cache/yum. Subdirs under it might have what you need.

> Bernhard
> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Bernhard Gschaider 06-26-2008 11:25 AM

Force reinstallation of packages Was: Root-filesystem remounts as read-only during 5.2 upgrade (system completely shoot)

WLM> WARNING! Due to my background, I don't often read man pages
WLM> like I used to. So there may be some inaccuracies or
WLM> ambiguities below.

WLM> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 11:58 +0200, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
>> <snip>

>> Sorry. Stupid question again: and if I find inconsistencies,
>> then the

WLM> Keep in mind that *some* inconsistencies are expected. Local
WLM> config files being one good example. You must look at the
WLM> codes displayed in the output, and possibly the files, to be
WLM> sure it is really a discrepancy.

I know. I compared with the verify-output from a working machine. For
my theory ("there are different rpm-packages on the disk than in the
rpm-database") to be right there should be a large amounts of files
with wrong MD5-sums. And there is only a handful for which this is the
case (and they seem mostly harmless)

>> only way to force rpm to correct them yould be something like
>>
>> yum remove offendingPackage yum install offendingPackage
>>
>> or the equivalent rpm-commands?

WLM> Not the only way, but probably the safest. However, that may
WLM> try to also remove some dependencies, depending on the
WLM> package you're trying to remove.

Yep. That's what I was afraid of

WLM> I seem to recall a "force" parameter that is available for
WLM> rpm and yum. Although normally disparaged, this is a perfect
WLM> situation for its use.

It exists in RPM, but in yum it is notoriously absent

>> Currently the machine behaves quite strange: - Boots OK - Lets
>> users log in and most applications work - Firefox works only
>> for root - yumex hangs at starting

WLM> Depending on your time-frame, this may be a symptom of the
WLM> load on the servers you access. Yesterday A.M. I saw *BIG*
WLM> delays downloading the xml(?) files. But I use yum CLI, so I
WLM> see the blood-n-guts on the screen. <BIAS> GUIs suck... in
WLM> general</BIAS>

yum works. The problem according to an "strace yum" seems to be that
it is poll-ing on something, but I don't know on what, because I don't
get the arguments to that call, because it never finishes (last line
just says "poll("

>> - "man rpm" says XXX WARNING: old character encoding and/or
>> character set
>>
>> All this leads me to the conclusion that there are only some
>> selected packages corrupt (and I don't want to reinstall the
>> machine). Would Installing/Repairing from DVD help?

WLM> Maybe. But some of the rpms might be on your system from the
WLM> update activities. Do and updatedb and then a locate
WLM> .rpm. You may see some in /var/cache/yum. Subdirs under it
WLM> might have what you need.

I'll try that. If it doesn't help I'll have to scratch the machine and
install anew.

Thanks
Bernhard

Dag Wieers 07-04-2008 02:00 AM