Old 12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Scary memory requirements for 5.1 graphic install

It is listed as a known issue, but I have a lot of 256Mb systems where I
have used the graphic installer....

OUCH!

And when this is fixed (I really hope), it will mean some new ISOs to
download?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:35 PM
"Orlando Rubino Gala"

Eso es muy importante, es que más me atrevo a decir que es 50% y 50% de
importante

___________________________________
Orlando Rubino Gala
Administración UONet
Email = rubino@eco.uo.edu.cu
Email = orlando_rubino@yahoo.com
Fax = 1(360) 351 - 0681
Phone = 632138
____________________________________

Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Johnny Hughes

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> It is listed as a known issue, but I have a lot of 256Mb systems where I
> have used the graphic installer....
>
> OUCH!
>
> And when this is fixed (I really hope), it will mean some new ISOs to
> download?

It is not broken ... you really need 512mb RAM to use the installer in
GUI mode reliably. And it purposely will not even start with < 256 MB.

This is primarily due the fact that the DEPS are solved a different way
that requires more memory now.

Text installs are not that bad ...

That is just the way it is, but it is only getting worse in the future,
not better (memory reqts that is).

Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Dec 3, 2007 11:26 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> It is listed as a known issue, but I have a lot of 256Mb systems where I
> have used the graphic installer....
>
> OUCH!
>
> And when this is fixed (I really hope), it will mean some new ISOs to
> download?

I would say that those systems may not be good candidates for future
EL versions. The memory requirements for the Enterprise editions are
going up with moore's law as more things get added to the wishbin 'of
what everyone wants'. I say this as I look at my 256 MB servers and
think that they will be EL-4 boxes from now on.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

It is listed as a known issue, but I have a lot of 256Mb systems where I
have used the graphic installer....

OUCH!

And when this is fixed (I really hope), it will mean some new ISOs to
download?

It is not broken ... you really need 512mb RAM to use the installer in
GUI mode reliably. And it purposely will not even start with < 256 MB.

I know about the < 256Mb. I hit that on my notebook that has shared
memory for the video.

This is primarily due the fact that the DEPS are solved a different way
that requires more memory now.

It seems more important to have a local repo, and to do a minimum install.

Oh, will yum now encounter the same memory hit. That is if I install
yumex on a 256mb system after a minimum install, and run yumex in gnome
to select my packages...

Or even the 'standard' add/remove program on the gnome menu.

Text installs are not that bad ...

yeah, I have actually done them and gotten the hang of it. Do the
minimum install in text mode, the boot in gnome....

That is just the way it is, but it is only getting worse in the future,
not better (memory reqts that is).

Yeah, I have been losing memory for some time now.

It will be a sad day when we cannot install on a 256mb system.

I have also had success putting a drive in one system for the install,
moving the drive into the target system, and only having to
system-config-display.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Chris Mauritz

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

I would say that those systems may not be good candidates for future
EL versions. The memory requirements for the Enterprise editions are
going up with moore's law as more things get added to the wishbin 'of
what everyone wants'. I say this as I look at my 256 MB servers and
think that they will be EL-4 boxes from now on.

Unless those machines are dinosaurs with RDRAM, why not just upgrade
them? 256mb is pretty cheap these days.

Best,

.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 AM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Dec 3, 2007 6:03 PM, Chris Mauritz <chrism@imntv.com> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > I would say that those systems may not be good candidates for future
> > EL versions. The memory requirements for the Enterprise editions are
> > going up with moore's law as more things get added to the wishbin 'of
> > what everyone wants'. I say this as I look at my 256 MB servers and
> > think that they will be EL-4 boxes from now on.
> >

> Unless those machines are dinosaurs with RDRAM, why not just upgrade
> them? 256mb is pretty cheap these days.

Well they could be dinosaurs in other ways.. in that their max memory
is 256MB. I have run into that a couple of times..

Or you budget cant cover even an upgrade (my current situation ).