Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

Default Root-filesystem remounts as read-only during 5.2 upgrade (system completely shoot)

WLM> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 20:27 +0200, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
>> <snip>

>> Is there a way to say: "Hey RPM, have a look whether really the
>> files in your database are on the disk)" ?

WLM> Use rpm's verify option. I forget the exact syntax: I'm sorry
WLM> to have to sentence you to the rpm manpage dungeon. :-(

Thanks. I was looking for the keyword "check" in man-pages (shows you
that half the art in searching is knowing "for what")

LM> Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
>> OK. I managed to beat the machine into submission. But a slight
>> incertainty remains.

LM> I'd be concerned about the initial filesystem error perhaps
LM> being hardware related. You might try a 'cat /dev/sda
LM> >/dev/null' to force a full disk read, then 'smartctl -a
LM> /dev/sda' to see if the health still looks OK.

Thanks. That's one of the things that never come up in the "System
administration for half-wits"-books that I usually read