Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

Default To upgrade or not

My laptop is a Thinkpad T20 running CentOS 5.1

The reason it is running CentOS at all is because Fedora Core 6 was
workable on it, but Fedora 8 was a complete dog.

Anyway - with all the new desktop stuff in CentOS 5.2 I'm wondering if I
would be happier just leaving it at 5.1 rather than letting it update to
5.2.

Will 5.1 continue to get security fixes if I leave it at 5.1 or do I
need to update to 5.2 to get the patches?

I'm planning to replace it at some point, just haven't seen T40s on eBay
drop to my price range yet.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

My laptop is a Thinkpad T20 running CentOS 5.1

The reason it is running CentOS at all is because Fedora Core 6 was workable on it, but Fedora 8 was a complete dog.

Anyway - with all the new desktop stuff in CentOS 5.2 I'm wondering if I would be happier just leaving it at 5.1 rather than letting it update to 5.2.

Will 5.1 continue to get security fixes if I leave it at 5.1 or do I need to update to 5.2 to get the patches?

I'm planning to replace it at some point, just haven't seen T40s on eBay drop to my price range yet.
I upgraded my Desktop yesterday and my daughter's Desktop this morning. If you surf the web, the move from Mozilla Firefox 1.5.x to Mozilla Firefox 3.0 Beta 5 will be well worth your time. I was having problems, on web sites I frequently visit, with Firefox 1.5.* CentOS 5 is based on Fedora Core 6 as I recall. The difference is with CentOS you get a LONG life, more stability and more security, along with super support from this mailing list. I believe that Firefox 3.0 requires a bunch of other stuff that is not in CentOS 5.1, to run. It took me just over an hour to download all the packages for each box and about another hour to get it all installed. I would suggest that: (a) You backup the data on your laptop (b) login as root and do "yum upgrade" and move to CentOS 5.2.* If you do not upgrade everything, you will still get security updates, for the packages you do want to update.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

Lanny Marcus wrote:

[...]

I'm already running FF2 on the laptop.
The issue is the laptop has a 700MHz CPU (550 MHz on battery) and 384MB
of ram, and unfortunately it seems that many of the new gnome libraries
aren't very conservative when it comes to ram and CPU, causing gnome to
be a dog.

My only gripe with FF2 is that it has a tendency to sometimes crash when
opening a dialog window, but I'd rather have that happen then a desktop
that just isn't usable because of code bloat on older hardware.

My desktop is a 2.2GHz AMD X2 w/ 2GB of RAM - upgrading that to 5.2 is a
no brainer. My LAN server is an older machine, but it's headless so I
don't forsee an upgrade problem causing performance there either. It's
the laptop w/ desktop performance that I'm worried about, and I'd rather
not play around with minimal UIs that aren't well supported.

It's the desktop performance of 5.2 that I really want to know about. If
I have to upgrade to get security patches I have to upgrade, but as long
as 5.1 still gets security patches, then I really may consider not doing it.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

[...]

We do not have a lot of RAM in our Desktops, which are older models. Mine has 512 MB and my daughter's has either 384 MB or 512 MB (I can't remember and she is using it now)... However, we do have more horsepower than your laptop. I use GNOME 99% of the time and it's running well. My box has a Celeron 2.6 GHz and daughters box has a P4 1.6 GHz.

My only gripe with FF2 is that it has a tendency to sometimes crash when opening a dialog window, but I'd rather have that happen then a desktop that just isn't usable because of code bloat on older hardware.

I used FF2 for a few minutes, while testing a Ubuntu Live CD, before I shipped it to a friend, Monday. From that quick test, I think FF3 is FAR more advanced and so far I haven't seen any problems, while surfing with FF3.

My desktop is a 2.2GHz AMD X2 w/ 2GB of RAM - upgrading that to 5.2 is a no brainer. My LAN server is an older machine, but it's headless so I don't forsee an upgrade problem causing performance there either. It's the laptop w/ desktop performance that I'm worried about, and I'd rather not play around with minimal UIs that aren't well supported.

Our Router/Firewall is a headless* IPCop and I will leave that one alone, since it's working properly.

It's the desktop performance of 5.2 that I really want to know about. If I have to upgrade to get security patches I have to upgrade, but as long as 5.1 still gets security patches, then I really may consider not doing it.

Well, as you gradually update packages, if you update everything, you will be on 5.2.* If you only update a few packages that you feel are necessary for security, you will continue to be on 5.1. *

If you can backup the data on your laptop, give it a shot. Do not upgrade anything, without backing up. HTH

Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Florin Andrei

Michael A. Peters wrote:

I'm already running FF2 on the laptop.
The issue is the laptop has a 700MHz CPU (550 MHz on battery) and 384MB
of ram, and unfortunately it seems that many of the new gnome libraries
aren't very conservative when it comes to ram and CPU, causing gnome to
be a dog.

Wow, that's a tiny RAM.
You should consider running XFCE instead of Gnome.

My only gripe with FF2 is that it has a tendency to sometimes crash when
opening a dialog window, but I'd rather have that happen then a desktop
that just isn't usable because of code bloat on older hardware.

You can always install any FF version you want in /home/${USER}/firefox
and put that directory at the beginning of $PATH in .bash_profile
Voila, instant FF "upgrade" and you don't even have to remove the
original FF package.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-25-2008 12:02 PM Michael A. Peters spake the following:

My laptop is a Thinkpad T20 running CentOS 5.1

The reason it is running CentOS at all is because Fedora Core 6 was
workable on it, but Fedora 8 was a complete dog.

Anyway - with all the new desktop stuff in CentOS 5.2 I'm wondering if I
would be happier just leaving it at 5.1 rather than letting it update to
5.2.

Will 5.1 continue to get security fixes if I leave it at 5.1 or do I
need to update to 5.2 to get the patches?

I'm planning to replace it at some point, just haven't seen T40s on eBay
drop to my price range yet.
5.1 is not a different distro than 5.2. If you update 5.1 it becomes 5.2. You
don't go out and say "update to 5.2", you just yum update, and it becomes 5.2.

Think of it in Windows terms as Centos 5 sp1 (service pack 1) or Centos 5 sp2.
If you want to stay with 5.1 you no longer get updates.

Upstream has a setup for staying with a point release, but I don't think it
has trickled down to CentOS yet.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Robert

Lanny Marcus wrote:

<snip>
I upgraded my Desktop yesterday and my daughter's Desktop this
morning. If you surf the web, the move from Mozilla Firefox 1.5.x to
Mozilla Firefox 3.0 Beta 5 will be well worth your time.
FF 3b is not without its own warts, though.

I frequently save downloaded video clips to be saved on CD or DVD for
friends who don't have broadband access. I have been doing this very
cleanly in FF 1.5 using an extension named Download Helper -- which
doesn't work in Firefox 3. It turns out that there is an update for
Download Helper but I can't say whether of not that works because
Firefox 3 can't find the flash player -- which is definitely installed
'cause I'm listening to the audio from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAXb7qCCAo right now. (Foster Brooks
"Drunk Airline Pilot" routine)

Hopefully, a "compound w" for Firefox will be forthcoming.