Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
"William L. Maltby"

Default Root-filesystem remounts as read-only during 5.2 upgrade (system completely shoot)

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 20:27 +0200, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
> <snip>

> Is there a way to say: "Hey RPM, have a look whether really the files
> in your database are on the disk)" ?

Use rpm's verify option. I forget the exact syntax: I'm sorry to have to
sentence you to the rpm manpage dungeon. :-(

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 23:53 +0200, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
> <snip>

> LM> I'd be concerned about the initial filesystem error perhaps
> LM> being hardware related. You might try a 'cat /dev/sda
> LM> >/dev/null' to force a full disk read, then 'smartctl -a
> LM> /dev/sda' to see if the health still looks OK.
>
> Thanks. That's one of the things that never come up in the "System
> administration for half-wits"-books that I usually read

There's your problem! You have to be a half-wit for those books. The
fact that you have the the incentive to read a book means you are *not*
a half-wit. Ergo: your reading the wrong books! ;-)

--
Bill