Old 06-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Centos 5.2 Install - lvcreate failed for ...

!st install of 5.2; system requires custom partitioning (Scalix mail
server).

Boot and Swap are hard partitions, rest of drive is LVM.

In LVM, three ext3 partitions: /, /home, /var/opt/scalix

lvcreate failed for the last (named Scalix_02). It was the last of the
three partitions and used up the remainder of the LVM space.

Now 'The Installer will now exit..." And all there is is a Reboot button.

Any idea on what the real error is, how to find out more, what to try
next? It did take me a bit to walk through the packet selection.

Next I will try to build a more normal system

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:39 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> !st install of 5.2; system requires custom partitioning (Scalix mail
> server).
>
> Boot and Swap are hard partitions, rest of drive is LVM.
>
> In LVM, three ext3 partitions: /, /home, /var/opt/scalix
>
> lvcreate failed for the last (named Scalix_02). It was the last of the
> three partitions and used up the remainder of the LVM space.
>
> Now 'The Installer will now exit..." And all there is is a Reboot button.
>
> Any idea on what the real error is, how to find out more, what to try
> next? It did take me a bit to walk through the packet selection.
>
> Next I will try to build a more normal system
----
switch to the appropriate virtual console...

<Control><Alt><F3> # I think, it might be
<Control><Alt><F4>

Craig

Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Thanks, but...

Craig White wrote:

!st install of 5.2; system requires custom partitioning (Scalix mail
server).

Boot and Swap are hard partitions, rest of drive is LVM.

In LVM, three ext3 partitions: /, /home, /var/opt/scalix

lvcreate failed for the last (named Scalix_02). It was the last of the
three partitions and used up the remainder of the LVM space.

Now 'The Installer will now exit..." And all there is is a Reboot button.

Any idea on what the real error is, how to find out more, what to try
next? It did take me a bit to walk through the packet selection.

Next I will try to build a more normal system

----
switch to the appropriate virtual console...

<Control><Alt><F3> # I think, it might be

Shows the error:

createLogicalVolumes failed with lvcreate for Scalix_02

<Control><Alt><F4>

Some device-mapper messages. Not imformative.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Hansjörg Maurer wrote:

Hi

we have often seen this behaviour with lvm and RHEL5 too
We try to use fixed sizes during installation and extend the lvm, when
the system is running.

I think, that the calculation of lvm size and PE size in the installer
is not working well....
I redid it, and made sure that the partition was a multiple of 512Mb.
This left 192Mb unused.

The partition was successfully created and the install is on the way.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Robert Moskowitz wrote on Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:39:06 -0400:

> Any idea on what the real error is, how to find out more, what to try
> next? It did take me a bit to walk through the packet selection.

Anaconda doesn't have good error handling, so it likes to bomb out when
doing complex custom partitioning. So, I tend to just install the basic
setup and create any fancy partitions by hand after the install is done.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany