Old 06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

Default Root-filesystem remounts as read-only during 5.2 upgrade (system completely shoot)

Judging from the frequency of my messages here one could think that
I'm too stupid to upgrade a workstation to 5.2 (but the servers I've
tried work without problem)

OK. The problem: I've tried to upgrade a 5.1-x86_64-workstation to 5.2.
During the upgrade immidiatly after (according to the
/var/log/messages) upgrading the two (64 & 32-bit) libgcc-packages an
EXT3-error occurs and the root-partition gets remounted in
read-only-mode. Consequently ALL following package upgrades throw
errors saying this or that can't be done because he can't write to
/etc, /usr but in the end yum says everything is OK.

(Side info: /var is on a different partition, so it is still
writeable)

At reboot the machine wants a manual fsck which throws a lot of
errors.
Then the machine reboots with with a lot of error messages (basically
because it can't find /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (nothing a symlink can't
fix). After that I try to fix things by manually upgrading the
libgcc-packages (otherwise yum won'T run). "rpm -q" for selected
packages shows that the majority of the packages is still in 5.1-state.
Trying to "yum upgrade" again fail because the machine can't find any
servers (but network functionality seems OK)

So I try to reboot. And now the really strange thing happens: A simple
"rpm -q rpm" says that no rpm is installed. Rebuilding the
rpm-database doesn't help.

So I'm a bit stuck here with a machine that is in limbo.

My questions: what could have been the cause for this (the machine was
working OK before that). The only thing I feel a little guilty about
was deinstalling the nvidia-kernel-driver and not reboot, but this
can't f### up the file-system, can it?

Any suggestions what I can do to get the machine into a normal state
again (apart from reinstall from scratch)

Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

OK. I managed to beat the machine into submission. But a slight
incertainty remains.

BG> Judging from the frequency of my messages here one could think
BG> that I'm too stupid to upgrade a workstation to 5.2 (but the
BG> servers I've tried work without problem)

BG> OK. The problem: I've tried to upgrade a
BG> 5.1-x86_64-workstation to 5.2. During the upgrade immidiatly
BG> after (according to the /var/log/messages) upgrading the two
BG> (64 & 32-bit) libgcc-packages an EXT3-error occurs and the
BG> root-partition gets remounted in read-only-mode. Consequently
BG> ALL following package upgrades throw errors saying this or
BG> that can't be done because he can't write to /etc, /usr but in
BG> the end yum says everything is OK.

BG> (Side info: /var is on a different partition, so it is still
BG> writeable)

That is my problem: Did that step of the "upgrade" leave the
rpm-database in a state that is not in tune with what is actually on
the disk

BG> At reboot the machine wants a manual fsck which throws a lot
BG> of errors. Then the machine reboots with with a lot of error
BG> messages (basically because it can't find /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1
BG> (nothing a symlink can't fix). After that I try to fix things
BG> by manually upgrading the libgcc-packages (otherwise yum won'T
BG> run). "rpm -q" for selected packages shows that the majority
BG> of the packages is still in 5.1-state. Trying to "yum
BG> upgrade" again fail because the machine can't find any servers
BG> (but network functionality seems OK)

The problem was that the centos-release was removed at the start of
the upgrade (and that is needed by yum to determine which $releasever
to use)

BG> So I try to reboot. And now the really strange thing happens:
BG> A simple "rpm -q rpm" says that no rpm is
BG> installed. Rebuilding the rpm-database doesn't help.

BG> So I'm a bit stuck here with a machine that is in limbo.

By manually reinstalling the rpm.rpm and some other packages I managed
to kickstart the upgrade again (and it seems to have succeeded)

Only problem: in the second upgrade run less packages were listed as
due to be updated (roughly a half). So I'm not sure: Are they marked
as upgraded in the rpm-database but in reality there are the old
versions on the disk.

Is there a way to say: "Hey RPM, have a look whether really the files
in your database are on the disk)" ?

BG> My questions: what could have been the cause for this (the
BG> machine was working OK before that). The only thing I feel a
BG> little guilty about was deinstalling the nvidia-kernel-driver
BG> and not reboot, but this can't f### up the file-system, can
BG> it?

That question remains. But it is academic

BG> Any suggestions what I can do to get the machine into a normal
BG> state again (apart from reinstall from scratch)

As I said: solved

Thanks for listening

Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Les Mikesell

Bernhard Gschaider wrote:

OK. I managed to beat the machine into submission. But a slight
incertainty remains.

I'd be concerned about the initial filesystem error perhaps being
hardware related. You might try a 'cat /dev/sda >/dev/null' to force a
full disk read, then 'smartctl -a /dev/sda' to see if the health still
looks OK.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com