-   -   SOLVED: Desktop: After yum update and power off, cannot boot new Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/113440-solved-desktop-after-yum-update-power-off-cannot-boot-new-kernel.html)

"Lanny Marcus" 06-25-2008 04:14 PM

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Marko A. Jennings <markobiz@bluegargoyle.com> wrote:

On Wed, June 25, 2008 11:01 am, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> FOLLOW ON: On my box, when it is trying to boot the latest Kernel

> (2.6.18-92.1.1el5) the last thing I see on the CRT is "starting udev"

> and after that, the screen goes blank and there is no HD activity.

This sounds a lot like the problem with the nvidia-drv-x11 package from

RPMForge. *Are you, by any chance, using it? *If so, you should be able to

boot into run level 3 without any problems, and X (run level 5) should

start working after you remove it. *That is, at least, my experience.

Hi Marko: No, my box is using Intel integrated video on the MOBO. And, this is the one that has the problem. My daughters box, which does not have the problem, has nvidia. ** Lanny

SOLUTION: * I Googled for "starting udev".** One of the possible solutions suggested was to add "acpi=off" at the end of the line for that Kernel. I did that, after powering the box off and then back on, and it is working:

[lanny@dell2400 ~]$ uname -a
Linux dell2400.homelan 2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat Jun 21 19:04:27 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Which configuration file do I edit, to make that change? TIA! Lanny

ne... 06-25-2008 04:29 PM

SOLVED: Desktop: After yum update and power off, cannot boot new Kernel

> Which configuration file do I edit, to make that change? TIA! Lanny
/etc/grub.conf if you use grub.
/etc/lilo.conf if you use lilo.

HTH
--
WC Fields - "I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally."