Old 06-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

Default No plugin-directory for firefox in CentOS 5.2

KS> Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
>> I noticed, that the directory /usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5/plugins/
>> is NOT created on CentOS 5.2. Therefor for instance the
>> flash-plugin is not installed for the new firefox (After
>> manually creating the directory and setting the right symlink
>> it works all right)

KS> installing as a user, should the flash-plugin not go into your
KS> ~/.mozilla dir ?

I was going for a system-wide install

KS> Also, sitewide plugins are better in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
KS> which comes from the xulrunner rpm.

You're right. I wasn't aware of this directory. The funny thing
is: the flash-plugin did a symbolic link to the .so there, but firefox
doesn't recognize it (It also doesn't find the java-plugin that is
installed there)

KS> Atleast, thats the way I look at things, what am I missing
KS> here ?

In the .mozilla/plugin it works, but that'S not what I want.

For the time being I will put a symlink to the
/usr/lib/mozilla-direcotry into the firefox-3-directory (now all ther
plugins are recognized)

Bernhard

Old 06-25-2008, 03:51 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

* *KS> Bernhard Gschaider wrote:

* *>> I noticed, that the directory /usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5/plugins/

* *>> is NOT created on CentOS 5.2. Therefor for instance the

* *>> flash-plugin is not installed for the new firefox (After

* *>> manually creating the directory and setting the right symlink

* *>> it works all right)

* *KS> installing as a user, should the flash-plugin not go into your

* *KS> ~/.mozilla dir ?

I was going for a system-wide install

* *KS> Also, sitewide plugins are better in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

* *KS> which comes from the xulrunner rpm.

You're right. I wasn't aware of this directory. The funny thing

is: the flash-plugin did a symbolic link to the .so there, but firefox

doesn't recognize it (It also doesn't find the java-plugin that is

installed there)

* *KS> Atleast, thats the way I look at things, what am I missing

* *KS> here ?

In the .mozilla/plugin it works, but that'S not what I want.

For the time being I will put a symlink to the

/usr/lib/mozilla-direcotry into the firefox-3-directory (now all ther

plugins are recognized)

After I did "yum upgrade" yesterday, it looks like my Plug Ins for Firefox are all there. Edit > Preferences > Main > Add Ons > Plug Ins
Shockwave Flash and other plug ins are shown there, in Firefox 3.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Karanbir Singh

Bernhard Gschaider wrote:

KS> Also, sitewide plugins are better in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
KS> which comes from the xulrunner rpm.

You're right. I wasn't aware of this directory. The funny thing
is: the flash-plugin did a symbolic link to the .so there, but firefox
doesn't recognize it (It also doesn't find the java-plugin that is
installed there)

That might be a real bug, I wonder if you can try this on a clean VM
install or a real machine install and make sure that the plugins from
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins are really not seen by a fresh firefox-3
install ( I'd guess doing a useradd or a user with no ~/.mozilla would
also be suiteable to test this )

- KB

Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

KS> Bernhard Gschaider wrote: Also, sitewide plugins are better in
KS> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ which comes from the xulrunner rpm.
>> You're right. I wasn't aware of this directory. The funny thing
>> is: the flash-plugin did a symbolic link to the .so there, but
>> firefox doesn't recognize it (It also doesn't find the
>> java-plugin that is installed there)

KS> That might be a real bug, I wonder if you can try this on a
KS> clean VM install or a real machine install and make sure that
KS> the plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins are really not seen
KS> by a fresh firefox-3 install ( I'd guess doing a useradd or a
KS> user with no ~/.mozilla would also be suiteable to test this )

OK. Sorry to have bothered you. It seems to be a problem of that
specific user (me). The others on the same machines see the
/usr/lib/mozilla-plugins without a problem.

I was using a "tar-installed to /opt" Firefox3 before. I guess it must
have fiddled around with some settings in ~/.mozilla (but obviously
not the fault of the RPMs)

Bernhard