Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

Default Desktop: After yum update and power off, cannot boot new Kernel

Yesterday, in the afternoon, I did "yum update" on my Desktop. Everything seemed AOK. After power down last night, when I powered on this morning, it began to boot the new Kernel and then seemed to die. Instead of getting the progress of the boot on the CRT, the screen was blank and nothing happening. I am now running off the previous Kernel on this box. Is there a fix for this, so I can use the new Kernel? This morning, I did "yum upgrade" on my daughter's box and that is finishing now. If I have the same problem on that box, I will follow on in this thread. TIA, Lanny

Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

> Yesterday, in the afternoon, I did "yum update" on my Desktop. Everything
> seemed AOK. After power down last night, when I powered on this morning, it
> began to boot the new Kernel and then seemed to die. Instead of getting the
> progress of the boot on the CRT, the screen was blank and nothing happening.
> I am now running off the previous Kernel on this box. Is there a fix for
> this, so I can use the new Kernel? This morning, I did "yum upgrade" on my
> daughter's box and that is finishing now. If I have the same problem on that
> box, I will follow on in this thread. TIA, Lanny

Could it be that you are also having this issue :
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday, in the afternoon, I did "yum update" on my Desktop. Everything

> seemed AOK. After power down last night, when I powered on this morning, it

> began to boot the new Kernel and then seemed to die. Instead of getting the

> progress of the boot on the CRT, the screen was blank and nothing happening.

> I am now running off the previous Kernel on this box. Is there a fix for

> this, so I can use the new Kernel? This morning, I did "yum upgrade" on my

> daughter's box and that is finishing now. If I have the same problem on that

> box, I will follow on in this thread. TIA, Lanny

Could it be that you are also having this issue :

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912

Tim: I read the data for that Bug,* but on my CRT, after the boot begins, and it begins reporting the progress of the boot, the screen goes completely blank and there is no HD activity. After the "yum* update" yesterday, after I did the Reboot, it booted into the new Kernel, without any problem and I reported in the Happy Camper thread that it was a flawless upgrade. After the power down last night and power up this morning, the new Kernel will* not boot and I am now running on the previous Kernel. This is a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.6 GHz Celeron CPU and 512 MB of RAM.* I am now curious, after the "yum upgrade" on my daughters box finishes, if it will have the same issue. TIA, Lanny

Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday, in the afternoon, I did "yum update" on my Desktop. Everything

> seemed AOK. After power down last night, when I powered on this morning, it

> began to boot the new Kernel and then seemed to die. Instead of getting the

> progress of the boot on the CRT, the screen was blank and nothing happening.

> I am now running off the previous Kernel on this box. Is there a fix for

> this, so I can use the new Kernel? This morning, I did "yum upgrade" on my

> daughter's box and that is finishing now. If I have the same problem on that

> box, I will follow on in this thread. TIA, Lanny

Could it be that you are also having this issue :

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912

Tim: I read the data for that Bug,* but on my CRT, after the boot begins, and it begins reporting the progress of the boot, the screen goes completely blank and there is no HD activity. After the "yum* update" yesterday, after I did the Reboot, it booted into the new Kernel, without any problem and I reported in the Happy Camper thread that it was a flawless upgrade. After the power down last night and power up this morning, the new Kernel will* not boot and I am now running on the previous Kernel. This is a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.6 GHz Celeron CPU and 512 MB of RAM.* I am now curious, after the "yum upgrade" on my daughters box finishes, if it will have the same issue. TIA, Lanny

Follow On: After the "yum upgrade" on my daughters box (Dell Dimension 4300 with a P4 CPU, 1.6 GHz and (I think) 512 MB RAM, two (2) reboots went perfectly, into the new Kernel. Then, I powered the box down, very briefly, and powered it back on. No problem, booting into the new Kernel, on that box.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:01 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday, in the afternoon, I did "yum update" on my Desktop. Everything

> seemed AOK. After power down last night, when I powered on this morning, it

> began to boot the new Kernel and then seemed to die. Instead of getting the

> progress of the boot on the CRT, the screen was blank and nothing happening.

> I am now running off the previous Kernel on this box. Is there a fix for

> this, so I can use the new Kernel? This morning, I did "yum upgrade" on my

> daughter's box and that is finishing now. If I have the same problem on that

> box, I will follow on in this thread. TIA, Lanny

Could it be that you are also having this issue :

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2912

Tim: I read the data for that Bug,* but on my CRT, after the boot begins, and it begins reporting the progress of the boot, the screen goes completely blank and there is no HD activity. After the "yum* update" yesterday, after I did the Reboot, it booted into the new Kernel, without any problem and I reported in the Happy Camper thread that it was a flawless upgrade. After the power down last night and power up this morning, the new Kernel will* not boot and I am now running on the previous Kernel. This is a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.6 GHz Celeron CPU and 512 MB of RAM.* I am now curious, after the "yum upgrade" on my daughters box finishes, if it will have the same issue. TIA, Lanny

FOLLOW ON: On my box, when it is trying to boot the latest Kernel (2.6.18-92.1.1el5) the last thing I see on the CRT is "starting udev"* and after that, the screen goes blank and there is no HD activity.* I am booting OK into 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5. I powered down my daughters box again, briefly, and powered it back on and it booted into the latest kernel again, without any issues.

Could this issue involve the fact that my box is an Intel Celeron and her box is an Intel P4?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
"Marko A. Jennings"

On Wed, June 25, 2008 11:01 am, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> FOLLOW ON: On my box, when it is trying to boot the latest Kernel
> (2.6.18-92.1.1el5) the last thing I see on the CRT is "starting udev"
> and after that, the screen goes blank and there is no HD activity.

This sounds a lot like the problem with the nvidia-drv-x11 package from
RPMForge. Are you, by any chance, using it? If so, you should be able to
boot into run level 3 without any problems, and X (run level 5) should
start working after you remove it. That is, at least, my experience.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Marko A. Jennings <markobiz@bluegargoyle.com> wrote:

On Wed, June 25, 2008 11:01 am, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> FOLLOW ON: On my box, when it is trying to boot the latest Kernel

> (2.6.18-92.1.1el5) the last thing I see on the CRT is "starting udev"

> and after that, the screen goes blank and there is no HD activity.

This sounds a lot like the problem with the nvidia-drv-x11 package from

RPMForge. *Are you, by any chance, using it? *If so, you should be able to

boot into run level 3 without any problems, and X (run level 5) should

start working after you remove it. *That is, at least, my experience.

Hi Marko: No, my box is using Intel integrated video on the MOBO. And, this is the one that has the problem. My daughters box, which does not have the problem, has nvidia. ** Lanny