-   -   5.2 upgrade mostly good (so far) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/113267-5-2-upgrade-mostly-good-so-far.html)

fred smith 06-25-2008 12:45 PM

5.2 upgrade mostly good (so far)

Hi Guys!

Thanks to the whole Centos team for all their hard work. You have no IDEA
how much I appreciate it!

I ran "yum upgrade" last night, rebooted this morning and encountered
a couple of small problems:
1. "shutdown -h now" goes all the way down but does not power down the
box like it always has before. Same when shutting down via the GUI shutdown
dialog. I can offer up machine details should anyone want them.
2. Trying to recompile the official Cisco VPN client after the reboot and
it fails with this info:

# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5/build SUBDIRS=/home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5-i686'
CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/frag.o
CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o
CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/interceptor.o
CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/linuxkernelapi.o
LD [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST
WARNING: /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .data between 'interceptor_dev' (at offset 0xb4) and 'interceptor_notifier'
WARNING: could not find /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd for /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/libdriver.so
CC /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.mod.o
LD [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5-i686'

this ".libdriver.so.cmd" looks like something that should be created on the fly.

I've built this same version for several previous Centos kernels, so this appears
to be a new phenomenon.

Clues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Olaf Mueller 06-25-2008 01:46 PM

5.2 upgrade mostly good (so far)

fred smith wrote:

Hello.

> 1. "shutdown -h now" goes all the way down but does not power down the
> box like it always has before. Same when shutting down via the GUI
> shutdown dialog.
I know this from systems with older processors. For me a 'apm=power-off'
in the /etc/grub.conf kernel-line does the trick.

regards
Olaf

fred smith 06-25-2008 04:40 PM

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 03:46:53PM +0200, Olaf Mueller wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> > 1. "shutdown -h now" goes all the way down but does not power down the
> > box like it always has before. Same when shutting down via the GUI
> > shutdown dialog.
> I know this from systems with older processors. For me a 'apm=power-off'
> in the /etc/grub.conf kernel-line does the trick.

would your "older" include an Athlon XP 2600+ ?

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:3 (niv) -----------------------------

Olaf Mueller 06-25-2008 05:27 PM

fred smith wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 03:46:53PM +0200, Olaf Mueller wrote:
>> fred smith wrote:

>> > 1. "shutdown -h now" goes all the way down but does not power down
>> > the box like it always has before. Same when shutting down via the
>> > GUI shutdown dialog.
>> I know this from systems with older processors. For me a
>> 'apm=power-off' in the /etc/grub.conf kernel-line does the trick.

> would your "older" include an Athlon XP 2600+ ?
No, of course not. My older processors are pII, pIII and athlon, from
266MHz to 800MHz.

regards
Olaf

fred smith 06-25-2008 05:34 PM

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 07:27:38PM +0200, Olaf Mueller wrote:
> fred smith wrote:

> >> I know this from systems with older processors. For me a
> >> 'apm=power-off' in the /etc/grub.conf kernel-line does the trick.
>
> > would your "older" include an Athlon XP 2600+ ?
> No, of course not. My older processors are pII, pIII and athlon, from
> 266MHz to 800MHz.

OK. I didn't really mean "the ones you own", I meant more like "would you
consider that Athlon to in the category of"...

While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.

Robert 06-25-2008 05:47 PM

fred smith wrote:

1. "shutdown -h now" goes all the way down but does not power down
the box like it always has before. Same when shutting down via the
GUI shutdown dialog.

I know this from systems with older processors. For me a
'apm=power-off' in the /etc/grub.conf kernel-line does the trick.

would your "older" include an Athlon XP 2600+ ?

No, of course not. My older processors are pII, pIII and athlon, from
266MHz to 800MHz.

regards
Olaf

As an added data point, since the OP seems concerned about Athlon XP2600+,
I am running that processor in an ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe m/b ACPI BIOS Rev
1008
and it powered down just fine following the CentOS 5.2 upgrade. Here's
the first stanza of grub.conf:

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img

fred smith 06-25-2008 06:02 PM

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:47:10PM -0500, Robert wrote:

> Olaf Mueller wrote:
> >fred smith wrote:

> >>would your "older" include an Athlon XP 2600+ ?
> >>
> >No, of course not. My older processors are pII, pIII and athlon, from
> >266MHz to 800MHz.
> >

> >regards
> >Olaf
> >
> As an added data point, since the OP seems concerned about Athlon XP2600+,
> I am running that processor in an ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe m/b ACPI BIOS Rev
> 1008
> and it powered down just fine following the CentOS 5.2 upgrade. Here's
> the first stanza of grub.conf:
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
> initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img

and here's mine (including Olaf's suggested change):

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet apm=power-off
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img

I have to say that adding the apm=power-off didn't change a thing, it
still doesn't shut off the power. Now, I can't say with certainty when
I last saw it do that, because i rarely shut down the box. It runs my
mail server for the household, so it runs for months at a time, but I know
that it has in the past always worked whenever I've watched it go down.

I just booted the prevous kernel and noticed that it doesn't power off
either. Strange. I know it used to work (I've been using Centos, and
formerly Tao Linux on this board since it was new.)

This is a gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 board, nvidia chipset, nvidia graphics
card (old GeForce 4).

Any other advice you can come up with (while I go do some googling) would
be appreciated.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

fred smith 06-25-2008 06:05 PM

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 08:45:06AM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> Thanks to the whole Centos team for all their hard work. You have no IDEA
> how much I appreciate it!
>
> I ran "yum upgrade" last night, rebooted this morning and encountered
> a couple of small problems:
> 1. "shutdown -h now" goes all the way down but does not power down the
> box like it always has before. Same when shutting down via the GUI shutdown
> dialog. I can offer up machine details should anyone want them.
> 2. Trying to recompile the official Cisco VPN client after the reboot and
> it fails with this info:
>
> # make
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5/build SUBDIRS=/home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient modules
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5-i686'
> CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
> CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/frag.o
> CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o
> CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/interceptor.o
> CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/linuxkernelapi.o
> LD [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o
> Building modules, stage 2.
> MODPOST
> WARNING: /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .data between 'interceptor_dev' (at offset 0xb4) and 'interceptor_notifier'
> WARNING: could not find /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd for /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/libdriver.so
> CC /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.mod.o
> LD [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5-i686'
>
> this ".libdriver.so.cmd" looks like something that should be created on the fly.
>
> I've built this same version for several previous Centos kernels, so this appears
> to be a new phenomenon.
>
> Clues would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

And a third item for the list:
After just rebooting a few times trying various tactics for solving
the first problem above (without success, BTW) when I booted it last
time the GUI desktop comes up with empty panels. The panels are there,
there's just nothing visible on them. I can click on the panel in the
spot where something ought to be, and it is there--the menus open,or
whatever was supposed to happen, and they have visible text--it's just
the panels that are blank.

I should note that I'm using "desktop effects" with an old nvidia
card, in case that matters.

I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.

"William L. Maltby" 06-25-2008 06:27 PM

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 14:05 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> <snip>

> And a third item for the list:
> After just rebooting a few times trying various tactics for solving
> the first problem above (without success, BTW) when I booted it last
> time the GUI desktop comes up with empty panels. The panels are there,
> there's just nothing visible on them. I can click on the panel in the
> spot where something ought to be, and it is there--the menus open,or
> whatever was supposed to happen, and they have visible text--it's just
> the panels that are blank.
>
> I should note that I'm using "desktop effects" with an old nvidia
> card, in case that matters.

I can't recall the start of this, did you {un,re}install the nvidia
driver? I use the one from rpmforge. Other folks reported the need to
un/reinstall to get it to work right. I saw these before I upgraded, did
it and all is good.

Be aware: the *97*beta driver is for a later model nvidia and won't work
on the *96* series. You'll probably want to use the
nvidia-x11-drv-96xx-1.0.9631-1.nodist.rf.i386
from rpmforge if your card is fairly old.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

fred smith 06-25-2008 06:31 PM

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:05:50PM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 08:45:06AM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > Hi Guys!
> >
> > Thanks to the whole Centos team for all their hard work. You have no IDEA
> > how much I appreciate it!
> >
> > I ran "yum upgrade" last night, rebooted this morning and encountered
> > a couple of small problems:
> > 1. "shutdown -h now" goes all the way down but does not power down the
> > box like it always has before. Same when shutting down via the GUI shutdown
> > dialog. I can offer up machine details should anyone want them.
> > 2. Trying to recompile the official Cisco VPN client after the reboot and
> > it fails with this info:
> >
> > # make
> > make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5/build SUBDIRS=/home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient modules
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5-i686'
> > CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
> > CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/frag.o
> > CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o
> > CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/interceptor.o
> > CC [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/linuxkernelapi.o
> > LD [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o
> > Building modules, stage 2.
> > MODPOST
> > WARNING: /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .data between 'interceptor_dev' (at offset 0xb4) and 'interceptor_notifier'
> > WARNING: could not find /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd for /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/libdriver.so
> > CC /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.mod.o
> > LD [M] /home/fredex/myfiles/programs/cisco-vpn-client/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5-i686'
> >
> > this ".libdriver.so.cmd" looks like something that should be created on the fly.
> >
> > I've built this same version for several previous Centos kernels, so this appears
> > to be a new phenomenon.
> >
> > Clues would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> And a third item for the list:
> After just rebooting a few times trying various tactics for solving
> the first problem above (without success, BTW) when I booted it last
> time the GUI desktop comes up with empty panels. The panels are there,
> there's just nothing visible on them. I can click on the panel in the
> spot where something ought to be, and it is there--the menus open,or
> whatever was supposed to happen, and they have visible text--it's just
> the panels that are blank.
>
> I should note that I'm using "desktop effects" with an old nvidia
> card, in case that matters.

Well. actually, #3 was easy to solve: goto the desktop effects menu,
click "enable desktop effects" and it DISables them. Strange. the panels
now suddenly have text where they should. Click it again and it re-enables
desktop effects and voila, the panels still have text where they should.