Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
admin

Default CentOS roadmap/EPEL

There are lots of exciting things happening in the CentOS ecosystem at
the moment, by which I mean "upstream" or "across stream" in Fedora and
RHEL.

I'm thinking of projects that equip RH-like EL in general for serious
entry into the enterprise, things like the Fedora Directory Server, and
RedHat's Emerging Technologies projects such as Cobbler, FreeIPA and
Ovirt. Also JBoss middleware.

Will these sort of packages end up in CentOS eventually, or are there
any major problems installing EPEL packages on CentOS?

I know CentOS is very popular in the web hosting world, but enterprise
grade directory servers, provisioning servers and virtualisation
technologies could also see greater take up of CentOS in areas like
local government and education for example (medium sized but slightly
cash-challenged organisations).

I suppose this is some kind of roadmap question, or a question about
using EPEL packages on CentOS. Personally, I'm interested in using these
"emerging technologies" in the local government environment.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Tom Brown

[...]

personally i already use epel in CentOS and have had no issues -
specifically i use this for cobbler/koan

Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Karanbir Singh

admin wrote:

I'm thinking of projects that equip RH-like EL in general for serious
entry into the enterprise, things like the Fedora Directory Server, and
RedHat's Emerging Technologies projects such as Cobbler, FreeIPA and
Ovirt. Also JBoss middleware.

A lot ( if not all ) of these are going to be in CentOS soon, in a lot
of cases we hope they are better integrated into the CentOS ecosystem
being in the CentOS Repo's - eg the CentOS DirServer has been in the
testing repo for a bit, and the same with
cobbler/koan/func/smolt/maatkit etc.

What we are ( inside the CentOS Team ) hoping to achieve is a good mix
of people contributing to both the Enterprise Users ( and they are such
users themselves ) and to specific industry segments where CentOS has
been popular ( eg. the Virt SIG ).

And since its CentOS, we focus on the Enterprise Stream of products as
much as possible, and even go directly upstream in cases where we need
to ( eg. Mysql in CentOS4/5 is the Enterprise Release from mysql, not
the community release that Fedora and RHEL build with ). That then opens
more doors for support options for people who use these builds and we
hope improves and creates options for people who self-support.

And we do consider the self-support users to be the core of what is
CentOS today and the community around it- like this mailing list, the
forums, the irc regulars etc.

If you truly look at the entire setup ( eg. the php5.2 conversation
recently, the fact that CentOS DirServer is around, that an IcedTea
varient has been in CentOS already - the availability of DRBD for years
out of the stock repo's ), its quite a well formed out ecosystem ( in
your words), and one that we would like to promote and build further.
When I say 'we', I hope to include all the users and abusers of CentOS
- Maybe some of them will agree!

- KB

Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
admin

> the CentOS DirServer has been in the
testing repo for a bit, and the same with
cobbler/koan/func/smolt/maatkit etc.

Is the testing repo publicly accessible? If so, where?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I can't find it on
mirror.centos.org or searching the website for "testing repo".

Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Karanbir Singh

admin wrote:

> the CentOS DirServer has been in the

testing repo for a bit, and the same with
cobbler/koan/func/smolt/maatkit etc.

Is the testing repo publicly accessible? If so, where?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I can't find it on
mirror.centos.org or searching the website for "testing repo".

it is public, however we dont want people using it widely. Which is why
there isnt much info about it outside the centos devel lists. We dont
want to break everyone's installs with packages that might not be
suiteable for production.

The whole point of the testing repo is that people can test the packages
there, and once there is enough feedback those packages move to the
mirror.centos.org repos'.

Over the next few days - maybe week to ten days - we will work out a
better or an alternative testing mechanism that more people would /
should be able to use and provide feedback on. Till then I highly
recommend sitting tight! And once there is a process plan, I shall make
sure its put out in as many places as possible, so if you have anything
to do with CentOS, you will hear about it.

Not sure if this answers your question, but I hope it helps

- KB