Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Test

Default 5.2 blues

Ha, until now it looks ok, but i only upgraded yesterday evening...

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:29:41 +0200
"Sorin@Gmail" <sorin.srbu@gmail.com> wrote:

sorin.srbu> Hi all,
sorin.srbu>
sorin.srbu> Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2?? I get the
sorin.srbu> feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...
sorin.srbu> --
sorin.srbu> Best Wishes
sorin.srbu> Sorin
sorin.srbu> ---------------------------------------------
sorin.srbu> http://home-skynet.servehttp.com/
sorin.srbu> Proud member of TEAM OS/2.
sorin.srbu> Mountainbiker [Kona Kilauea - Member of Equipe Les Cafards VTT]
sorin.srbu> Motorcyclist [Honda VFR750F-'97]
sorin.srbu> MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+ [Knowledge is power!]
sorin.srbu> ---------------------------------------------
sorin.srbu> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
sorin.srbu> /
sorin.srbu>
sorin.srbu> MotD:
sorin.srbu> CentOS: What Sysadmins run at home.
sorin.srbu>
sorin.srbu>
sorin.srbu>
sorin.srbu>

--
Test <test@remedial-teacher.nl>

Old 06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Andreas Micklei

Am Mittwoch, 25. Juni 2008 schrieb Sorin@Gmail:
> Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2?? I get
> the feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...

Zero problems here after upgrading a bunch of servers. I guess the majority of
users without problems is just not as loud. :-)

Thank you CentOS team for the good work!

regards,
Andreas Micklei

--
!!! ACHTUNG: BITTE NEUE ANSCHRIFT BEACHTEN !!!
_______________________________________

Handelsregister: Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 75173
Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE207795030
Vorstand: Dipl.-Inform. Heiko Schueler
Aufsichtsratsvorsitz: Dr.-Ing. Dirk Elias

Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Karanbir Singh

Sorin@Gmail wrote:

Hi all,

Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2?? I get the
feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...

well, how it works is that the millions of machines out there where it
just worked, wont get reported, but if things break people could use a
helpinghand, or just something to sync with other people who have
similar problems.

Going by your take of things, looking at the bugs.centos.org site - one
might conclude that OhMyGod,NothingWorks,PanicPanicPanic, is there
anything on this ship that is good!!

Which would, even if I may say so myself, be quite wrong!

I think everything is good Just a few people run into issues, so they
report them ( and they should, its what makes us a community! )

Old 06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

Andreas Micklei <> scribbled on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:37 PM:

> Thank you CentOS team for the good work!

I second that!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Johnny Hughes

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Sorin@Gmail wrote:

Hi all,

Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2??
I get the

feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...

well, how it works is that the millions of machines out there where it
just worked, wont get reported, but if things break people could use a
helpinghand, or just something to sync with other people who have
similar problems.

Going by your take of things, looking at the bugs.centos.org site - one
might conclude that OhMyGod,NothingWorks,PanicPanicPanic, is there
anything on this ship that is good!!

Which would, even if I may say so myself, be quite wrong!

I think everything is good Just a few people run into issues, so they
report them ( and they should, its what makes us a community! )

As KB says, we estimate more than 2 million CentOS installs out there,
so the number of major issues are fairly small compared to that.

We have identified several upstream issues that we have put in the
Release Notes (see the known issues section) and for most we have
testing packages to fix them.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

Karanbir Singh <> scribbled on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:51 PM:

>> Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2?? I
>> get the feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...
>>

> well, how it works is that the millions of machines out there where it
> just worked, wont get reported, but if things break people could use a
> helpinghand, or just something to sync with other people who have
> similar problems.
>
> Going by your take of things, looking at the bugs.centos.org site - one
> might conclude that OhMyGod,NothingWorks,PanicPanicPanic, is there
> anything on this ship that is good!!
>
> Which would, even if I may say so myself, be quite wrong!
>
> I think everything is good Just a few people run into issues, so they
> report them ( and they should, its what makes us a community! )

You're are right I guess. 8-) Like the other guy said, the ones with problems
are just louder than the rest of us. ;-)

Actually I did panic a bit when yum finished looking for updates and reported
it needed some 300-400MB. I was afarid I'd hit the max on /. Turns out it
worked flawlessly. My mother OTOH, has a 256kbps line down and 300-400M will
take a while to download... She doesn't have any space-constraints though on /
as I had. Win some, lose some...

All in all, CentOS 5.2 seems to work fine. My web server and sshd is still up
and chugging along. I'm happy. 8-)

Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Dunc

Sorin@Gmail wrote:

Hi all,

Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2?? I get the
feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...

Only problem I had was my dovecot imap server going down, but that was
my fault for not reading through the new .conf file properly..

other than that its been very smooth

big thanks to everyone involved, great work!

cheers

Dunc

Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Johnny Hughes

Dunc wrote:

Sorin@Gmail wrote:

Hi all,

Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2??
I get the feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...

Only problem I had was my dovecot imap server going down, but that was
my fault for not reading through the new .conf file properly..

other than that its been very smooth

big thanks to everyone involved, great work!

If there is something in the conf file that needs to change (that worked
in 5.1 and does not in 5.2) let us know and we can add it to the release
notes and/or wiki.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Michel van Deventer

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:29 +0200, Sorin@Gmail wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2?? I get the
> feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...
I upgraded 4 machines (all virtual) without any problems from 5.1 to
5.2, tonight I'll upgrade the host machine but I do not expect any
problems.
I'm only cautious to upgrade my old webserver which is a dual PIII and
is located about 100km from my home I wouldn't like a kernel panic
there.

Regards,

Michel

Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Michel van Deventer

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 13:30 +0200, Sorin@Gmail wrote:
> Andreas Micklei <> scribbled on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:37 PM:
>
> > Thank you CentOS team for the good work!
>
> I second that!
Me too !! And another donation on its way to CentOS !

Regards,

Michel