Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Dunc

Default 5.2 blues

Johnny Hughes wrote:

If there is something in the conf file that needs to change (that
worked in 5.1 and does not in 5.2) let us know and we can add it to
the release notes and/or wiki.

It was in the listening section as follows:

# A space separated list of IP or host addresses where to listen in for
# connections. "*" listens in all IPv4 interfaces. "[::]" listens in all
IPv6

# interfaces, but may also listen in all IPv4 interfaces depending on the
# operating system. Use "*, [::]" for listening both IPv4 and IPv6.
#
# If you want to specify ports for each service, you will need to configure
# these settings inside the protocol imap/pop3 { ... } section, so you can
# specify different ports for IMAP/POP3. For example:
# protocol imap {
# listen = *:10143
# ssl_listen = *:10943
# ..
# }
# protocol pop3 {
# listen = *:10100
# ..
# }
listen = "*"
#listen = [::]

The listen bit defaults to [::]. I had to change it to "*" as above
otherwise I couldn't connect to it. (connection refused)

As it says above, [::] only listens on IPv4 'depending on the operating
system'. So something has changed from 5.1 to 5.2 which means that is no
longer the case.

thanks

Dunc

Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 14:39 +0200, Michel van Deventer wrote:
> Hi,
> <snip>

> I upgraded 4 machines (all virtual) without any problems from 5.1 to
> 5.2, tonight I'll upgrade the host machine but I do not expect any
> problems.
> I'm only cautious to upgrade my old webserver which is a dual PIII and
> is located about 100km from my home I wouldn't like a kernel panic
> there.

Suggestion: before rebooting, edit grub's config to default to the old
kernel. Then reboot, selecting the new one. If it fails, when the
machine is booted again, it will be in the old stuff. If it works, you
can then edit grub's config again to default to the new one.

> Regards,
>
> Michel
> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Ned Slider

Dunc wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

[...]

That's strange Dunc.

The new config file was written to /etc/dovecot/conf.rpmnew (as
expected) for me, so your modified original doesn't get overwritten. I
can see no difference between the 5.1 and 5.2 config files wrt the
'listen' directive. Mine was, and still is, set to the default [::] and
still works fine. Further, I have IPv6 disabled on the server. I have
tested on both i386 and x86_64 platforms and each are working fine both
with and without ssl/tls.

Did you restart the dovecot service after it was updated? (I'm not sure
if yum update does this automatically or not when updating a daemon
service that is running).

Regards,

Ned

Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Dunc

Ned Slider wrote:

That's strange Dunc.

The new config file was written to /etc/dovecot/conf.rpmnew (as
expected) for me, so your modified original doesn't get overwritten. I
can see no difference between the 5.1 and 5.2 config files wrt the
'listen' directive. Mine was, and still is, set to the default [::]
and still works fine. Further, I have IPv6 disabled on the server. I
have tested on both i386 and x86_64 platforms and each are working
fine both with and without ssl/tls.

Did you restart the dovecot service after it was updated? (I'm not
sure if yum update does this automatically or not when updating a
daemon service that is running).

Regards,

Ned

Hi

Yes it was written as rpmnew, and indeed the default was the same. But
using the original I was using before, changing nothing, with [::] I
could not connect after the upgrade. I restarted many times, and
eventually changing the original to[*] allowed me to connect.

I then changed to the new conf (after changing a few things like using
mysql to authenticate, minimum uid to match my setup), and again could
not connect. Changing the new conf to[*] then solved it.

How are you disabling IPv6, maybe that is making the difference?

thanks

Dunc

Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Ned Slider

Dunc wrote:

Hi

Yes it was written as rpmnew, and indeed the default was the same. But
using the original I was using before, changing nothing, with [::] I
could not connect after the upgrade. I restarted many times, and
eventually changing the original to[*] allowed me to connect.

I then changed to the new conf (after changing a few things like using
mysql to authenticate, minimum uid to match my setup), and again could
not connect. Changing the new conf to[*] then solved it.

How are you disabling IPv6, maybe that is making the difference?

To disable IPv6 as per the Wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5?highlight=(ipv6)#head-47912ebdae3b5ac10ff76053ef057c366b421dc4

Also, see this thread by Lenard:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=8203&forum=40

Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-25-2008 3:29 AM Sorin@Gmail spake the following:

Hi all,

Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2?? I get the
feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...

Only a few problems so far on the list. A small percentage of the total user
base. But many people will not upgrade on the first day, or even the first week.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

Am I the only one to have had a totally trouble-free upgrade to 5.2?? I get the feeling that most everybody seems to have *some* problems...

Only a few problems so far on the list. A small percentage of the total user base. But many people will not upgrade on the first day, or even the first week.

On my Desktop box, I had a problem, after powering down the box, where it would not boot into the new kernel. Adding "acpi=off" to the line for the new kernel eliminated that problem. On my daughters* Desktop box, there were no issues. We are the pioneers and others who follow us will learn from the issues that we had.* :-)

Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Dunc

Ned Slider wrote:

Dunc wrote:

Hi

Yes it was written as rpmnew, and indeed the default was the same.
But using the original I was using before, changing nothing, with
[::] I could not connect after the upgrade. I restarted many times,
and eventually changing the original to[*] allowed me to connect.

I then changed to the new conf (after changing a few things like
using mysql to authenticate, minimum uid to match my setup), and
again could not connect. Changing the new conf to[*] then solved it.

How are you disabling IPv6, maybe that is making the difference?

To disable IPv6 as per the Wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5?highlight=(ipv6)#head-47912ebdae3b5ac10ff76053ef057c366b421dc4

Hi

Seems that is making the difference. With IPv6 disabled both * and ::
work. If I enable it again and reboot only * works..

Dunc

Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Ned Slider

Dunc wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Dunc wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks Dunc.

As this seems to affect the default install configuration we presumably
need to add a note somewhere to reflect this. Thanks for spotting and
reporting it.

Has anyone else experienced this or can confirm it?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Karanbir Singh

Ned Slider wrote:

As this seems to affect the default install configuration we presumably
need to add a note somewhere to reflect this. Thanks for spotting and
reporting it.

Has anyone else experienced this or can confirm it?

There are some of us, who really use IPv6 in real life