Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Wojtek Pilorz

Default crashes on dual-PIII Compaq ProLiant 3000

After yum upgrade, the new CentOS5 kernel [ kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.i686 ]
crashes each time early in boot process on Compaq ProLiant 3000
with dual Pentium3 CPU (600 MHz, CPU0: Intel Pentium III (Katmai) stepping 03, CPU1 the same).

I get kernel panic at powernowk8_init+0x05e/0x1c3.

The previous kernel [ kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.i686 ] seems to work fine.

I am wondering if anyone has met this on PIII CPU ?

I have found 99.9% identical problem on
http://www.nabble.com/net-5501-and-RHEL5.2-td18024549.html

(only esp and task slightly different from what I have seen on screen after crash,
all other registers, call trace, code bytes identical to my case) ,
but that was on a different CPU.

On the other hand, I run CentOS upgraded to 5.2 on a home PC with PIII (single CPU,
Abit motherboard with i440BX chipset) with no problem.

Is it normal, that powernowk8_init gets called on PIII CPU?

Best regards,

Wojtek