Old 06-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Gregory Gerard

Default How to install *all* packages via kickstart?

Hello, all,

Since Fedora Core 4 I've not been able to just install everything.

I would love to just be able to install all available packages for my
architecture.

What's the way to do this?

Does someone have a list I can place in the packages section which is
known to work and really get everything?

thanks,
greg

Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Bobby

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 21:52:10 Gregory Gerard wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> Since Fedora Core 4 I've not been able to just install everything.
>
> I would love to just be able to install all available packages for my
> architecture.
>
> What's the way to do this?
>
> Does someone have a list I can place in the packages section which is
> known to work and really get everything?
>
> thanks,
> greg

Of course taking into account that not everything will work with everything
else... For example sendmail and postfix are not readily or functionally
installed at the same time.

--

Bobby

Old 06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
"nate"

Gregory Gerard wrote:

> Does someone have a list I can place in the packages section which is
> known to work and really get everything?

How about something like this
cd /path/to/centos/RPMS/dir
rpm -q -p *rpm >/tmp/packages.list

and put the contents of /tmp/packages.list in your kickstart to
get everything installed.

Or if you don't want to list the version numbers something like
for i in `echo *rpm`; do rpm --queryformat %{NAME} -q -p $i 2>/dev/null;echo
"";done | tee /tmp/packages.list

Not that I can think of a good reason to install every package available..

There may be packages that conflict with other packages as well, I've
never tried installing everything before.

nate

Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Karanbir Singh

Gregory Gerard wrote:
Does someone have a list I can place in the packages section which is
known to work and really get everything?

yum install *

Considering you could be pulling in upto 5,000 pkgs, make sure you have
enough drive space, fat network pipe, and lots of time.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Gregory Gerard

Good to know.

Why do you favor yum over kickstart package lists though?

greg

Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Gregory Gerard

thanks!

I'll give this a whirl.

At a certain point, I got sick of going into a machine and finding
half the diagnostic utilities (and their dependent libraries) weren't
installed and that just impeded tracking down the real issues I was
having. I'm in no mood to wait and pull down packages (and
potentially not install depending on what's going wrong) at 4am.

greg

Old 06-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Karanbir Singh

Gregory Gerard wrote:

Good to know.

Why do you favor yum over kickstart package lists though?

greg

Does someone have a list I can place in the packages section which is
known to work and really get everything?

yum install *

Considering you could be pulling in upto 5,000 pkgs, make sure you
have enough drive space, fat network pipe, and lots of time.

Mostly since *all* my installs are identical, minimal setups, done over
the wire. And I use puppet to later manage the machine, whats installed
on there and what the machine is doing. Besides, if the install is over
the wire, the number of bits you end up pulling is still the same.

- KB

Old 06-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-24-2008 6:52 PM Gregory Gerard spake the following:

Hello, all,

Since Fedora Core 4 I've not been able to just install everything.

I would love to just be able to install all available packages for my
architecture.

What's the way to do this?

Does someone have a list I can place in the packages section which is
known to work and really get everything?

thanks,
greg
linux install
--really_bad_idea_but_I_don't_care_and_want_to_anywa y_because_I_like_
security_challenges_and_I_am_a_glutton_for_punishm ent

;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and