Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how to downgrade from CentOS 5.2 to CentOS 5.1?

I've run into some trouble with a new cPanel VPS, and noticed that it's
running CentOS by default, installed via the CentOS http server.

My question is, how do I downgrade CentOS to 5.1?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Johnny Hughes

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
I've run into some trouble with a new cPanel VPS, and noticed that it's
running CentOS by default, installed via the CentOS http server.

My question is, how do I downgrade CentOS to 5.1?

There is no way to downgrade, however you can install from a centos-5.1
tree, but centos-5.1 is 5.2 minus a bunch of security upgrades.

We will eventually be moving the 5.1 tree to vault.centos.org, but if
you want to use it for an extended period of time, you should probably
download the tree to a local mirror.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
I've run into some trouble with a new cPanel VPS, and noticed that
it's running CentOS by default, installed via the CentOS http server.

My question is, how do I downgrade CentOS to 5.1?

There is no way to downgrade, however you can install from a
centos-5.1 tree, but centos-5.1 is 5.2 minus a bunch of security
upgrades.

We will eventually be moving the 5.1 tree to vault.centos.org, but if
you want to use it for an extended period of time, you should probably
download the tree to a local mirror.

Ok, I understand that, I'm just trying to avoid downloading &
reinstalling the software on there already.....

Old 06-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Johnny Hughes

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
I've run into some trouble with a new cPanel VPS, and noticed that
it's running CentOS by default, installed via the CentOS http server.

My question is, how do I downgrade CentOS to 5.1?

There is no way to downgrade, however you can install from a
centos-5.1 tree, but centos-5.1 is 5.2 minus a bunch of security
upgrades.

We will eventually be moving the 5.1 tree to vault.centos.org, but if
you want to use it for an extended period of time, you should probably
download the tree to a local mirror.

Ok, I understand that, I'm just trying to avoid downloading &
reinstalling the software on there already.....

You can do:

rpm -qa --last > lastest_rpms

then edit the file latest_rpms and see what was installed on the upgrade.

You can then downgrade by hand the packages that are causing your
problems or all of them using:

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage --replacefiles <path_to_old_package>

Old 06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
[...]

Yes, I could do it like this, but this is on a fresh installation of
CentOS, not an upgrade, so I have no packages to compare it to

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> >> Ok, I understand that, I'm just trying to avoid downloading &
> >> reinstalling the software on there already.....
> >>
> > You can do:
> >
> > rpm -qa --last > lastest_rpms
> >
> > then edit the file latest_rpms and see what was installed on the upgrade.
> >
> > You can then downgrade by hand the packages that are causing your
> > problems or all of them using:
> >
> > rpm -Uvh --oldpackage --replacefiles <path_to_old_package>
> >

> Yes, I could do it like this, but this is on a fresh installation of
> CentOS, not an upgrade, so I have no packages to compare it to

Well it's not really a "downgrade" then if it was never "upgraded" to
begin with?

Best thing to do is to create a local mirror of the 5.1 branch, re-install
from that mirror and make sure your systems yum off it until your
ready to switch to the 5.2 branch, which I also advise you make a local
repo of it, so in the future you can be fully in control of your change
management process.

-Ross