Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM
"David Hláčik"

Default truly minimal install

Hello,

we want to distribute our company software as virtual appliances (VMWARE) on Centos5 .
My question is, which way i will achieve really minimum install (with yum).
So far, i have during install unchecked all packages , then customized groups and removed everything including base system.

As a result my CentOS install was 800MB , which is still to much for us.
Value around 300 - 400 MB is OK.

Thanks!

D.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Karanbir Singh

David Hláčik wrote:
> My question is, which way i will achieve really minimum install (with yum).
> So far, i have during install unchecked all packages , then customized
> groups and removed everything including base system.
> As a result my CentOS install was 800MB , which is still to much for us.
> Value around 300 - 400 MB is OK.

do a bunch of 'yum erase' runs postinstall to remove whatever you dont
need ?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM

Use a kickstart-file that has a "nobase" statement..

And have a look at CLIP (http://oss.tresys.com/projects/clip/wiki/WikiStart) for a truly minimal kickstart (and a lot of other security related stuff, if you're interested)..

Cheers,

Bart

Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 PM