Old 06-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Olaf Mueller

Default Kernel panic since CentOS 5.2 upgrade

Hello,

since upgrading to CentOS 5.2 my notebook hangs while booting with
a "Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception" error. Here is a
screenshot: http://www.istari.de/olaf/centos/r0013878.jpg

# uname -a
Linux beutelsend.istari.de 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 #1 SMP Tue May 20 09:34:18
EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

# grep kernel /etc/grub.conf
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 acpi=off noapic apm=power-off

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 266.637
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr up
bogomips : 533.80

Ok, that toshiba tecra 8000 notebook is very old, but I use it as a thin
client. And for that it makes a great job.
I have had no such problem under CentOS 5 and 5.1.

Should I stay with kernel 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 or is there a workaround?

Thank you very much.
Olaf

Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Olaf Mueller <daily-planet@istari.de> wrote:

> since upgrading to CentOS 5.2 my notebook hangs while booting with
> a "Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception" error. Here is a
> screenshot: http://www.istari.de/olaf/centos/r0013878.jpg

...snip...

> Should I stay with kernel 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 or is there a workaround?

Could you create a bug report on bugs.centos.org ? Also could you test
if a 2.6.18-53.* kernel still work and also report that in the repot ?

Thank you,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Olaf Mueller

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

Hello.

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Olaf Mueller
> <daily-planet@istari.de> wrote:
>> since upgrading to CentOS 5.2 my notebook hangs while booting [...]
> Could you create a bug report on bugs.centos.org ? [...]
Ok, done as ID 0002912.

Thank you and regards
Olaf