Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

Default Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2

Hi!

I know that the nvidia-drv-x11-package is from RPMForge, but I thought
I might mention it here.

I have a machine with a NVidia-card and because of the ease of use I
use the rpmforge-package for that.

After upgrading the problem was that during rebooting as soon as the
machine hit the RHGB (which implicitly uses that driver) the machine
froze. I booted into the old kernel removed rhgb, rebooted. Now the
machine froze when starting X. Same procedure: Old Kernel. Remove
nvidia-drv-x11. Reboot into the new kernel and reinstall
nvidia-drv-x11. After a reboot everything works as it used to.

The cause of the problem could have been (sorry, I didn't do any
thorough forensic) that the nvidia.ko that was used in the new kernel
was a symbolic link from the "weak-updates"-directory into the old
kernel "extra"-directory. Is it possible that this only works inside
of kernels with the same x in CentOS 5.x ?

For the other machines I am upgrading I plan to

1. deinstall nvidia-x11-drv
2. do a regular "yum upgrade"
3. reinstall nvidia-x11-drv after reboot

Is there any better way to do it?

Bernhard

PS: the main purpose of this message is to alert others to this
problem, not to get an answer, although that would be nice

Old 06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
"Marko A. Jennings"

On Tue, June 24, 2008 3:08 pm, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I know that the nvidia-drv-x11-package is from RPMForge, but I thought
> I might mention it here.
>
> I have a machine with a NVidia-card and because of the ease of use I
> use the rpmforge-package for that.
>
> After upgrading the problem was that during rebooting as soon as the
> machine hit the RHGB (which implicitly uses that driver) the machine
> froze. I booted into the old kernel removed rhgb, rebooted. Now the
> machine froze when starting X. Same procedure: Old Kernel. Remove
> nvidia-drv-x11. Reboot into the new kernel and reinstall
> nvidia-drv-x11. After a reboot everything works as it used to.
>
> The cause of the problem could have been (sorry, I didn't do any
> thorough forensic) that the nvidia.ko that was used in the new kernel
> was a symbolic link from the "weak-updates"-directory into the old
> kernel "extra"-directory. Is it possible that this only works inside
> of kernels with the same x in CentOS 5.x ?
>
> For the other machines I am upgrading I plan to
>
> 1. deinstall nvidia-x11-drv
> 2. do a regular "yum upgrade"
> 3. reinstall nvidia-x11-drv after reboot

That is exactly what I did and my machine hangs again after nvidia-x11-drv
is installed.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

MAJ> On Tue, June 24, 2008 3:08 pm, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I know that the nvidia-drv-x11-package is from RPMForge, but I
>> thought I might mention it here.
>>
>> I have a machine with a NVidia-card and because of the ease of
>> use I use the rpmforge-package for that.
>>
>> After upgrading the problem was that during rebooting as soon
>> as the machine hit the RHGB (which implicitly uses that driver)
>> the machine froze. I booted into the old kernel removed rhgb,
>> rebooted. Now the machine froze when starting X. Same
>> procedure: Old Kernel. Remove nvidia-drv-x11. Reboot into the
>> new kernel and reinstall nvidia-drv-x11. After a reboot
>> everything works as it used to.
>>
>> The cause of the problem could have been (sorry, I didn't do
>> any thorough forensic) that the nvidia.ko that was used in the
>> new kernel was a symbolic link from the
>> "weak-updates"-directory into the old kernel
>> "extra"-directory. Is it possible that this only works inside
>> of kernels with the same x in CentOS 5.x ?
>>
>> For the other machines I am upgrading I plan to
>>
>> 1. deinstall nvidia-x11-drv 2. do a regular "yum upgrade"
>> 3. reinstall nvidia-x11-drv after reboot

MAJ> That is exactly what I did and my machine hangs again after
MAJ> nvidia-x11-drv is installed.

I THINK (but I'm not sure) I maually had to remove the
weak-updates/nvidia.ko and or the extra/nvidia.ko before doing the
reinstall (don't know if that makes a difference). My guess would be

1. deinstall the package in the old kernel
2. remove these links and files in the nex kernel
3. boot into the kernel
4. reinstall package (that should take some time, because as far as I
can tell this involves recompiling the module)

Bernhard

PS: Your "hang" is also: "Screen turns pitch black" ?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:13 AM
"John"

On Tue, June 24, 2008 3:08 pm, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I know that the nvidia-drv-x11-package is from RPMForge, but I thought
> I might mention it here.
>
> I have a machine with a NVidia-card and because of the ease of use I
> use the rpmforge-package for that.
>
> After upgrading the problem was that during rebooting as soon as the
> machine hit the RHGB (which implicitly uses that driver) the machine
> froze. I booted into the old kernel removed rhgb, rebooted. Now the
> machine froze when starting X. Same procedure: Old Kernel. Remove
> nvidia-drv-x11. Reboot into the new kernel and reinstall
> nvidia-drv-x11. After a reboot everything works as it used to.
>
> The cause of the problem could have been (sorry, I didn't do any
> thorough forensic) that the nvidia.ko that was used in the new kernel
> was a symbolic link from the "weak-updates"-directory into the old
> kernel "extra"-directory. Is it possible that this only works inside
> of kernels with the same x in CentOS 5.x ?
>
> For the other machines I am upgrading I plan to
>
> 1. deinstall nvidia-x11-drv
> 2. do a regular "yum upgrade"
> 3. reinstall nvidia-x11-drv after reboot

That is exactly what I did and my machine hangs again after nvidia-x11-drv
is installed.
Have you tried an older version of the driver from rpmforge? Do that First
and see how that turns out. I myself am a fan of the Nvidia Drivers from
nvidia.com. Meantime CentOS 5.2 is Very New and they may very well be issues
with driver Stability yet to be.

http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics This is a link of how
to install the nvidia driver from nvidia.com. **WARNING** It is not finished
but there should be enough info there to get to rolling in the right
direction. You need to be aware it is a draft only. Cent OS 5.2 will also be
included in it with in the next 30 days as time alows me.

Alternativly after you get one Nvidia.com driver going on one machine, you
could copy the built kernel module over to other machines providing they
have the same card. Warning, I do not condone such as that. Good Luck...

JohnStanley

Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Bernhard Gschaider

J> -----Original Message----- From: centos-bounces@centos.org
J> [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Marko
J> A. Jennings Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:18 PM To:
J> centos@centos.org Subject: Re: [CentOS] Problem with
J> nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2

J> On Tue, June 24, 2008 3:08 pm, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I know that the nvidia-drv-x11-package is from RPMForge, but I
>> thought I might mention it here.

<problem snipped>

J> ----------------------------------------------- Have you tried
J> an older version of the driver from rpmforge? Do that First and
J> see how that turns out. I myself am a fan of the Nvidia Drivers
J> from nvidia.com. Meantime CentOS 5.2 is Very New and they may
J> very well be issues with driver Stability yet to be.

J> http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics This is a
J> link of how to install the nvidia driver from
J> nvidia.com. **WARNING** It is not finished but there should be
J> enough info there to get to rolling in the right direction. You
J> need to be aware it is a draft only. Cent OS 5.2 will also be
J> included in it with in the next 30 days as time alows me.

J> Alternativly after you get one Nvidia.com driver going on one
J> machine, you could copy the built kernel module over to other
J> machines providing they have the same card. Warning, I do not
J> condone such as that. Good Luck...

Hi John!

As I understand it the nvidia-x11-drv IS the nvidia.com-driver just
repackaged in such a way that it automatically recompiles itself if a
new kernel is installed. For the vanilla-nvidia-drivers I had to write
a script for that and the number of workstation here is not big enough
that it justifies that (I did that, but it never worked 100% and
testing a boot time script is a pain in the a##)
Obviously the script in the RPM-package doesn't know how to behave
during an upgrade (let's see how it fares when the first
5.2-kernel-update comes along)

Bernhard

Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM
"John"

Keep me Posted on what happens please.

John

Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

J> Keep me Posted on what happens please. John

You mean whether the nvidia-x11-drv package works inter-5.2 during
kernel-updates? Today a new kernel-update arrived and two of my
machines recompiled the driver without problem (so it seems to be a
5.1->5.2 problem)

Bernhard

Old 06-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Vnpenguin

My nvidia driver (installed from Nvidia.com's package under CentOS 5.1
x86_64, not rpm) runs well under CentOS 5.2 without any modification.

http://vnoss.org

Old 06-28-2008, 02:51 PM
"John"

Great1 OK, Thank a lot...

JohnStanley

Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
<bgschaid_lists@ice-sf.at> wrote:

> Hi John!
>
> As I understand it the nvidia-x11-drv IS the nvidia.com-driver just
> repackaged in such a way that it automatically recompiles itself if a
> new kernel is installed. For the vanilla-nvidia-drivers I had to write
> a script for that and the number of workstation here is not big enough
> that it justifies that (I did that, but it never worked 100% and
> testing a boot time script is a pain in the a##)
> Obviously the script in the RPM-package doesn't know how to behave
> during an upgrade (let's see how it fares when the first
> 5.2-kernel-update comes along)

I may be mistaken on this, but IIRC, the driver does not recompile
itself automatically at all. I used dkms once a great many kernels
ago, and the driver has been recompiled for me for every single update
since then (4.4, I think), including my update to 5.2. I didn't see
any reference to this in this thread at all, so I'm assuming that you
are not using dkms.

For the person who uninstalled, updated and reinstalled the driver, I
didn't see any mention of a recompile - did you do that?

Now, if your driver doesn't work after an explicit recompile, that's a
different problem.

mhr