Old 07-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Bernhard Gschaider

Default Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2

M> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
M> <bgschaid_lists@ice-sf.at> wrote:
>> Hi John!
>>
>> As I understand it the nvidia-x11-drv IS the nvidia.com-driver
>> just repackaged in such a way that it automatically recompiles
>> itself if a new kernel is installed. For the
>> vanilla-nvidia-drivers I had to write a script for that and the
>> number of workstation here is not big enough that it justifies
>> that (I did that, but it never worked 100% and testing a boot
>> time script is a pain in the a##) Obviously the script in the
>> RPM-package doesn't know how to behave during an upgrade (let's
>> see how it fares when the first 5.2-kernel-update comes along)
>>

M> I may be mistaken on this, but IIRC, the driver does not
M> recompile itself automatically at all. I used dkms once a
M> great many kernels ago, and the driver has been recompiled for
M> me for every single update since then (4.4, I think), including
M> my update to 5.2. I didn't see any reference to this in this
M> thread at all, so I'm assuming that you are not using dkms.

I didn't mention it, but the package recompiles the driver using DKMS.

I'm fully aware, that binary-only-packages won't work

M> For the person who uninstalled, updated and reinstalled the
M> driver, I didn't see any mention of a recompile - did you do
M> that?

As said above: DKMS should take care of that - and it always did

Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
"John"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
<bgschaid_lists@ice-sf.at> wrote:

> Hi John!
>
> As I understand it the nvidia-x11-drv IS the nvidia.com-driver just
> repackaged in such a way that it automatically recompiles itself if a
> new kernel is installed. For the vanilla-nvidia-drivers I had to write
> a script for that and the number of workstation here is not big enough
> that it justifies that (I did that, but it never worked 100% and
> testing a boot time script is a pain in the a##) Obviously the script
> in the RPM-package doesn't know how to behave during an upgrade (let's
> see how it fares when the first 5.2-kernel-update comes along)

I may be mistaken on this, but IIRC, the driver does not recompile itself
automatically at all. I used dkms once a great many kernels ago, and the
driver has been recompiled for me for every single update since then (4.4, I
think), including my update to 5.2. I didn't see any reference to this in
this thread at all, so I'm assuming that you are not using dkms.

For the person who uninstalled, updated and reinstalled the driver, I didn't
see any mention of a recompile - did you do that?

Now, if your driver doesn't work after an explicit recompile, that's a
different problem.

Mhr

Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:29 AM, John <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, for DKMS users it should auto recompile on Kernel Upgrade. For users of
> the Proprietary Nvidia Driver it will not. You will have to manually
> recompile it.

I have not done this for a while but you can automate the installation
of the proprietary Nvidia driver by providing appropriate flags. The
following command worked when I tested:

sh ./NVIDIAxxxxx.run -a -q -N --ui=none

Others posted this:

sh ./NVIDIAxxxxx.run --no-network -s -K -n

Once you find the way to get the installalation working without human
intervention, you can put it in a place like /etc/rc.local :

if [ ! -e /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ]; then
echo "Installing the proprietary NVIDIA driver."
/full/path/to/ NVIDIAxxxxx.run --no-network -s -K -n
fi

This will compile and install the driver each time the kernel is updated.

Akemi