Old 06-24-2008, 04:24 PM
A.B.

Default CentOS 5 based distribution

I've been trying to create a Linux distribution based on CentOS 5,
similar to (actually, exactly like) how CentOS is based on RHEL. I have
been unable to find any information about this. Most of what I find are
tutorials and instructions on using Kickstart. Sometimes I've found
allusions to doing this, but nothing that gives all the instructions
necessary to modify Anaconda (or other files) sufficiently.

I have found an excellent walkthrough (http://wings.buffalo.edu/computing/ublinux/)
on creating a distribution based on RHEL 4. While following the
instructions I have found that not everything is in exactly the same
place when using CentOS 5, but the descriptions are close enough that I
have been able to figure it out and create a mostly "rebranded" install
DVD.

One thing that the above walkthrough does not explain is
how to change all the text and images (it points to most of the images) and the default "packages". By
that I mean the screen where the installer asks what additional tasks I
would like the system to include support for: i.e. Desktop - Gnome,
Server, Server - GUI, etc...

I have been unable to find where
this information, and some of the other text the installer uses (for
example, "Searching for CentOS installations"), is stored. I've greped
the entire DVD (including the expanded stage2.img file), but cannot
find this text anywhere. Is the information stored in a compiled
executable? If so, which executable will I need to recompile?

Thanks.