Old 06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
"nate"

Default DNS query

fabian dacunha wrote:

> really wd apprecite your help and ideas with examples

add this to your bind options section

forwarders { 172.31.1.240; };

and restart named, your named will now forward all requests that
it's not authoritative for to the above system.

nate

Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Johnny Hughes

fabian dacunha wrote:

Dear All,

i have the following setup

CentOS 5 server running as a primary DNS server for a long time and is
working perfectly fine

the server is on public IP and we have abt 5 zones apart from the reverse
n local zone

now our sister company have recently setup their own DNS and we are
supposed to use it.
earlier our cleints were using a host file

now on my master dns server in /etc/named.conf i created a new zone with
the following statement

zone "cse.net.kw" IN {
type slave;
masters { 172.31.1.240; };
file "cse.db";
allow-query { any; }; // the default
allow-transfer { none; };
};

and when i reload the dns server the file cse.db is not created
also in /var/log/messages i c the following

Jun 24 18:17:41 kmdns1 named[1771]: loading configuration from
'/etc/named.conf'
Jun 24 18:17:41 kmdns1 named[1771]: zone cse.net.kw/IN: refresh:
non-authoritative answer from master 172.31.1.240#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0)

actually i would want all the cleints to query the 172.31.1.240 DNS server
without adding this IP in their configurtion . all the cleint hav our
master dns server in their own setup

so actually query 172.31.1.240 DNS server through our DNS

apprecite your help

or cd i have contitional forwarding something like when a client queries
the 172.31.1.240 our master DNS jus forwards the queries to 172.31.1.240
instead of sending it out on the internet
since 172.31.1.0 network is connected directly and is a part of out intranet

really wd apprecite your help and ideas with examples

Well ... having you as a secondary server and having them setup a
"notify" that will point to your server will allow your users to get
updates and not have to look at that their server at all.

Your server could also then be a backup to their server and provide info
if it dies ... until it comes back up.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 PM
"fabian dacunha"

[...]

regards

fabian

believed to be clean.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 PM
ann kok

Hi

I run nslookup to check my dns

other domain gets

eg:

Non-authoritative answer:
domain.com nameserver = ns.domain.com.
domain.com nameserver = ns2.domain.com.

ns.domain.com internet address = 111.222.333.222
ns2.domain.com internet address = 111.222.333.444

but my domain gets this one
but not "ns.my.com internet address = ipaddress"

ls it fine? and why?

Non-authoritative answer:
my.com nameserver = ns.my.com.
my.com nameserver = ns2.my.com.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Rick Stevens

ann kok wrote:
Hi

I run nslookup to check my dns

other domain gets

eg:

Non-authoritative answer:
domain.com nameserver = ns.domain.com.
domain.com nameserver = ns2.domain.com.

ns.domain.com internet address = 111.222.333.222
ns2.domain.com internet address = 111.222.333.444

but my domain gets this one
but not "ns.my.com internet address = ipaddress"

ls it fine? and why?

Non-authoritative answer:
my.com nameserver = ns.my.com.
my.com nameserver = ns2.my.com.

Do you actually have DNS A entries for ns.my.com and ns2.my.com and are
they authoritative for your domain?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:58:59 -0800,
ann kok <oiyankok@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I run nslookup to check my dns

When you don't supply real information for a request like this you are
just wasting everyone's time. It's not like your DNS information is supposed
to be secret. And people can't help you when they can't see what is really
happening.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Hello Members,

I have following query :

I have an issue were when irun a dig or a host command on my network using my DNS machines. I getdifferent information then what DNSSTUFF.com reports.

when i run the following command
host -t -mx alliance-mktg.com
My DNS reports alliance-mktg.com is an alias for resalehost.networksolutions.com
if i run this command dig alliance-mktg.com
I get the following ip address 216.168.224.53.
However when i use DNSSTUFF they report totally different informations
All this is causing my mailserver to not be able to send email to this domain.
Cansomeone tell me why MY DNS is reporting different information then thatwhich DNSSTUFF is reporting? And what my best course of action is toremedy.

Regards,

Amitesh

Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Jose R R

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM, <amiteshsahay@aol.com> wrote:

> *Hello Members,
>
> I have following query :
>
> I have an issue were when irun a dig or a host command on my network using my DNS machines. *I getdifferent information then what DNSSTUFF.com reports.
>
> when i run the following command
> host -t -mx alliance-mktg.com

from GNU/Linux Debian (no -type -mx needed):

$ host alliance-mktg.com

alliance-mktg.com has address 74.222.47.254

alliance-mktg.com mail is handled by 10 mailscrubber02.networkgci.net.

alliance-mktg.com mail is handled by 10 mailscrubber01.networkgci.net.

> My DNS reports alliance-mktg.com is an alias for resalehost.networksolutions.com
> if i run this command dig alliance-mktg.com

dig alliance-mktg.com

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R1 <<>> alliance-mktg.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;alliance-mktg.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
alliance-mktg.com. 6896 IN A 74.222.47.254

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
alliance-mktg.com. 172496 IN NS ns36.worldnic.com.
alliance-mktg.com. 172496 IN NS ns35.worldnic.com.

;; Query time: 10 msec
;; SERVER: [my DNS server]
;; WHEN: Wed Jul 21 11:53:07 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 98

> I get the following ip address 216.168.224.53.
> However when i use DNSSTUFF they report totally different informations
> All this is causing my mailserver to not be able to send email to this domain.
> Cansomeone tell me why MY DNS is reporting different information then thatwhich DNSSTUFF is reporting? *And what my best course of action is toremedy.
>

> Regards,
>
> Amitesh

Start with the simplest DNS configuration. Updates (that reflect your
settings when querying) sometimes take as much 24 hours.

Good luck!

Regards

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com

Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 PM
"Carl T. Miller"

amiteshsahay@aol.com wrote:
> I have an issue were when irun a dig or a host command on my network using
> my DNS machines. I getdifferent information then what DNSSTUFF.com
> reports.

Hi Amitesh,

I'm not sure if someone already answered this. The reason
you're getting different results is that your DNS servers
are using forwarders that are returning bad records.

If you don't need forwarders, don't use them. If you need
to use forwarders, pick different ones.

I have seen issues lately with the opendns servers, so I wouldn't
suggest using them.