Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 AM
admin

Default PHP 5.2 for CentOS 5.x

Agree with everything you're saying about bleeding edge distros.

Having written quite a bit of PHP, however, I think its fair to say that
most developers are fully aware that software is always evolving and
probably believe that you may as well write for the latest version
because before long it'll be mainstream anyway.

Occasionally there are real generational differences between versions.

I find the constant upgrade treadmill with things like CMSs (Drupal etc)
a real pain as well.

Donald Buchan wrote:

I changed to linux a couple of years ago for a bunch of reasons. WGA
was one of them.

Being noob at the time -- still think I am today -- I had someone do it
for me.

They were going to put CentOS 4.4 in, but at the last minute, they put
in Fedora 5. Apparently, the -devel fork. What a disaster.

I was glad when my laptop got CentOS 4.4. It was stable. It worked.
Things didn't break. No dependency hell. Shortly after, Fedora was
nuked and both desktop and laptop were on 4.4. Today both machines have
gone through the upgrade cycles are at 4.7, quite happily.

My "new" desktop (the old one is now the home router, DVD burder,
Azureus download box, and has my 80gig mass storage drive; it has 5.2 as
of this morning.

What do I think of non-EL distros?

I'm glad I'm not having to curse for weeks every six months when I have
to upgrade, that's what I think of them.

And I'm a desktop user. No servers per se.

Now I have to see if the new printer I got at Christmas will work
without major surgery, like it needed for the 4.6 desktop. (I figure
HP gave the summer student who knows linux a pet project to make the
open source driver, and (s)he probably was using the latest drivers and
libraries while downing Jolt Cola. )