Old 06-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Gerald Balzer

Default PHP 5.2 for CentOS 5.x

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Bleier Thomas wrote:

Hi everybody,

depends on what you expect, but I'm willing to help in testing that -
seems that I will need PHP 5.2 in the near future, and I'd be happy if
it would be available for CentOS 5.

Sounds good, over the next few days lets try and get something started.
Are you on the centos-devel list ? thats where we'll handle this till
its released.

Not yet. I just had a chat with Laurens Vandeput from Joomlatools.org. He'd also join. And he's a
lot better in PHP than I am

Gerald

- KB

Gerald Balzer, Senior Partner

T: +41 44 440 55 13
E: g.balzer@unicum-consulting.ch
E: gerald@crbm.ch

Old 06-24-2008, 03:00 PM
"Bleier Thomas"

Hi,

ok - now I'm on the centos-devel list... :-)

I have a small system hosting two MediaWiki's which are occasionally hit
by a few users - its currently running CentOS 5.0, I plan to update it
to 5.2 in the next days, and I could install PHP 5.2 for testing since
it's not a mission-critical site. Since it's a virtual machine, I could
also do the first steps in a "lab-like" environment on a copy.

Would that be helpful?

Best regards,
__
/homas

--
Thomas Bleier, DI
Information Management

Mobile: +43 (664) 8251279
E-Mail: thomas.bleier@arcs.ac.at

Old 06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
"Michael Simpson"

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Bleier Thomas <Thomas.Bleier@arcs.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ok - now I'm on the centos-devel list... :-)
>
> I have a small system hosting two MediaWiki's which are occasionally hit
> by a few users - its currently running CentOS 5.0, I plan to update it
> to 5.2 in the next days, and I could install PHP 5.2 for testing since
> it's not a mission-critical site. Since it's a virtual machine, I could
> also do the first steps in a "lab-like" environment on a copy.
>
> Would that be helpful?
>
> Best regards,
> __
> /homas

We could test php5.2 as well
i have 2 servers specifically for development
2*Dell 840s running CentOS 5.1, will be running 5.2 once i get home
standard LAMP install on one, bells and whistles + kitchen sink on the
other (castor and pollux)

mike

Old 06-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Karanbir Singh

Bleier Thomas wrote:

Hi,

ok - now I'm on the centos-devel list... :-)

I have a small system hosting two MediaWiki's which are occasionally hit
by a few users - its currently running CentOS 5.0, I plan to update it
to 5.2 in the next days, and I could install PHP 5.2 for testing since
it's not a mission-critical site. Since it's a virtual machine, I could
also do the first steps in a "lab-like" environment on a copy.

Would that be helpful?

Sounds good

Over the next few days I'll get a testing php package setup and drop in
an email here.

- KB

Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Gerald Balzer

Me too.

We're hosting some Joomla! 1.5 based sites that run Nooku (multilanguage system) which requires php
5.2. In addition to this we host info@hand based sites (a SugarCRM based system). This also needs
php 5.2. I can test it on a second server (old 386 1GHz)

Gerald

Old 06-24-2008, 05:11 PM

In article <48610372.6010504@unicum-consulting.ch>,
Gerald Balzer <g.balzer@unicum-consulting.ch> wrote:

> Sad, I needed it, since some apps that we are hosting require 5.2.4+ . I'm currently running the
> version 5.2.5 from the yjl.repo. But I'd appreciate to have a more official one, of course.

I always get frustrated with apps requiring the latest and greatest
versions of PHP, etc., before they are made available for the major
distributions.

Is it that the very newest feature is really indispensable and the app
can't possibly make do without it, or just because the developer has the
bleeding-edge version on his own box and doesn't make the effort to test
his app with more mainstream versions?

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM
John R Pierce

Tony Mountifield wrote:

I always get frustrated with apps requiring the latest and greatest
versions of PHP, etc., before they are made available for the major
distributions.

Is it that the very newest feature is really indispensable and the app
can't possibly make do without it, or just because the developer has the
bleeding-edge version on his own box and doesn't make the effort to test
his app with more mainstream versions?

totally. its the new/shiny syndrome. more than once, I've found 1-2
simple 1-line fixes enabled a newer version of a given PHP app to run on
an older version of PHP.

sadly, much of the OSS community seem to think that stable enterprise
distributions like RHEL and SuSE are evil incarnate, second only to
Microsoft (which they inevitably spell with a $).

Old 06-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Donald Buchan

I changed to linux a couple of years ago for a bunch of reasons. WGA
was one of them.

Being noob at the time -- still think I am today -- I had someone do it
for me.

They were going to put CentOS 4.4 in, but at the last minute, they put
in Fedora 5. Apparently, the -devel fork. What a disaster.

I was glad when my laptop got CentOS 4.4. It was stable. It worked.
Things didn't break. No dependency hell. Shortly after, Fedora was
nuked and both desktop and laptop were on 4.4. Today both machines have
gone through the upgrade cycles are at 4.7, quite happily.

My "new" desktop (the old one is now the home router, DVD burder,
Azureus download box, and has my 80gig mass storage drive; it has 5.2 as
of this morning.

What do I think of non-EL distros?

I'm glad I'm not having to curse for weeks every six months when I have
to upgrade, that's what I think of them.

And I'm a desktop user. No servers per se.

Now I have to see if the new printer I got at Christmas will work
without major surgery, like it needed for the 4.6 desktop. (I figure
HP gave the summer student who knows linux a pet project to make the
open source driver, and (s)he probably was using the latest drivers and
libraries while downing Jolt Cola. )

Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Ghosty

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Bleier Thomas wrote:

Hi,

ok - now I'm on the centos-devel list... :-)

I have a small system hosting two MediaWiki's which are occasionally hit
by a few users - its currently running CentOS 5.0, I plan to update it
to 5.2 in the next days, and I could install PHP 5.2 for testing since
it's not a mission-critical site. Since it's a virtual machine, I could
also do the first steps in a "lab-like" environment on a copy.

Would that be helpful?

Sounds good

Over the next few days I'll get a testing php package setup and drop
in an email here.

- KB
This will be an unofficial build (upstream it's still 5.1.6), so I want
to open up the suggestion box a bit further ...
Anyone here tried to build it already with suhosin? Built several php
versions up to 5.2.x (not exactly sure which versions I could not get
built), found some instructions and spec files online, but when I start
patching it with suhosin it blows up in my face.(I have merely basic rpm
building skills) Will provide some more info tomorrow when I am at work
if anyone is interested?
For people that do not know suhosin:
http://www.hardened-php.net/suhosin/ , for the full security you should
have the extension AND the patch (the extension is findable for 5.1.6 in
rpm format but not the patched version, which is already default in
freebsd, gentoo and debian as far as I know ... )

Ghosty

Old 06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ghosty wrote:
> Anyone here tried to build it already with suhosin?

Sounds like something to think about once we have php-5.2.