Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Default centos 5.2 for real this time

Donald Buchan wrote:

> I did a yum update last night at about 23h15 EDT (-4). No upgrade.
>
> I just did a yum update this morning at about 08h45 (-4). for my system
> there's about 348 megs of updates.
>
> Now all I have to do is figure out how to remove OO.o 2.0.whatever which
> is being upgraded to 2.3.whatever. I'm using 2.4.1 on my 4.6 boxes
> (have always been using the latest OO.o on them since installation a
> couple of years ago.)
>
> Any ideas on how to completely remove the OO.o references for Yum, after
> having tried to do rpm -Uvh *.rpm, after trying again and doing a yum
> cleanup, etc. etc.?

If you do a:

# yum remove '*openoffice.org*'

It should get all openoffice packages, works even if it wasn't installed
by yum.

-Ross

Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Johnny Hughes

Donald Buchan wrote:

I did a yum update last night at about 23h15 EDT (-4). No upgrade.

I just did a yum update this morning at about 08h45 (-4). for my system
there's about 348 megs of updates.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to remove OO.o 2.0.whatever which
is being upgraded to 2.3.whatever. I'm using 2.4.1 on my 4.6 boxes
(have always been using the latest OO.o on them since installation a
couple of years ago.)

Any ideas on how to completely remove the OO.o references for Yum, after
having tried to do rpm -Uvh *.rpm, after trying again and doing a yum
cleanup, etc. etc.?

If you where using the centos versions this will happen for you with a
normal upgrade with no issues.

If you are using the OpenOffice.org versions and if you want to shift
back to the centos version, then just:

rpm -e openoffice-*

then

(all one line)

yum install openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-writer
openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-graphicfilter
openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-xsltfilter openoffice.org-base

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 06-24-2008, 01:48 PM

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:13:54 -0400
Donald Buchan <malak@pobox.com> wrote:

> Now all I have to do is figure out how to remove OO.o 2.0.whatever which
> is being upgraded to 2.3.whatever. I'm using 2.4.1 on my 4.6 boxes
> (have always been using the latest OO.o on them since installation a
> couple of years ago.)
>
> Any ideas on how to completely remove the OO.o references for Yum, after
> having tried to do rpm -Uvh *.rpm, after trying again and doing a yum
> cleanup, etc. etc.?

what about:

yum update --exclude=openoffice*

--
Thanks
http://www.911networks.com

Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Donald Buchan

Thanks Johnny, I'll look into it. (Trying to remove the CentOS version,
and install the OO.o rpms.)

I'll also try Ross' suggestion.

(the 5.2 upgrade is still happily chugging along with the downloads at
09h50 (-4), at #145 of 222 downloads.)

Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Donald Buchan

Just reread your message.

I was still having problems with the 2.0 centos version coming back even
though I'd removed it.

I tried Ross' suggesting, it removed things successfully (for both
2.0.whatever and 2.4.1.) But the new 2.4.1 won't install because
"package jre-1.6.0_04-fcs is already installed". Grrr.

I'm tempted to keep the 2.3 version that comes with the 5.2 upgrade, I
didn't notice any difference between 2.3 and 2.4, and I won't have to
constantly upgrade every time there's a "latest & greatest" OO.o ...
(Seems that's why I like CentOS to begin with!)

Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Donald Buchan wrote:

> Just reread your message.
>
> I was still having problems with the 2.0 centos version
> coming back even
> though I'd removed it.
>
> I tried Ross' suggesting, it removed things successfully (for both
> 2.0.whatever and 2.4.1.) But the new 2.4.1 won't install because
> "package jre-1.6.0_04-fcs is already installed". Grrr.
>
> I'm tempted to keep the 2.3 version that comes with the 5.2 upgrade, I
> didn't notice any difference between 2.3 and 2.4, and I won't have to
> constantly upgrade every time there's a "latest & greatest" OO.o ...
> (Seems that's why I like CentOS to begin with!)

You can remove jre-1.6 then install OOo, or download OOo that doesn't
include the JRE.

Make sure to uncheck:

Include the Java JRE with this download (This option is not available for Linux DEB and Mac OSX)

On the download page.

-Ross