Old 06-24-2008, 05:58 AM
"fabian dacunha"

Default problem with telnet

Dear All

i have a centos 5 server running as a backup PC server and is working
perfect for abt 3 months

jus a couple of days back when i tried to telnet to the server it gave me
connection refused

i go to the server
and when i say telnet localhost it says

getaddrinfo: localhost Name or service not known

the /etc/hosts file has the loopback entry and the actuall ip address of
the server

firewall is disabled

selinux disbled
no /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny

telnet is enabled in /etc/xident.d/telnet file

now when i do a nmap on this sserver i dont see the telnet service open
but i hav another 3 centos 5 servers n when i do a nmap on these there is
telnet open

also services file has telnet

no errors in /var/log/secure or /var/log/messages

i also removed telnet server n resinstalled it but the same

wondering whts wrong

apprecite your help

believed to be clean.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Tom Lanyon

i have a centos 5 server running as a backup PC server and is working
perfect for abt 3 months

jus a couple of days back when i tried to telnet to the server it
gave me

connection refused

What on earth are you using telnet for?

Unless you have a very good reason, use SSH.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Ian Blackwell

fabian dacunha wrote:

jus a couple of days back when i tried to telnet to the server it gave me
connection refused

i go to the server
and when i say telnet localhost it says

getaddrinfo: localhost Name or service not known

Are there lots of telnet sessions already running? You could have hit
the "instances" limit in /etc/xinetd.conf. If this is the problem (and
BTW I'm not convinced it is), you can increase the number of allowed
telnet sessions and reload xinetd with "service xinetd reload".

I hit this problem on a RHEL3 server several years ago and can't recall
exactly how it manifested itself, but I do remember that this was the
solution.

Ian

Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 6/24/08, Tom Lanyon <tom@netspot.com.au> wrote:
> On 24/06/2008, at 3:28 PM, fabian dacunha wrote:
>> i have a centos 5 server running as a backup PC server and is working
>> perfect for abt 3 months
>> jus a couple of days back when i tried to telnet to the server it
>> gave me
>> connection refused
>

> What on earth are you using telnet for?
> Unless you have a very good reason, use SSH.

Tom gave you the best advice you will get. You should stop using
telnet and begin using SSH.