Old 06-23-2008, 01:46 PM
wonderer

Default Centos on eeePC

Hello all,

Are there any experiences for CentOS 5 on one eeePC of Asus? Is to be
considered here something?
I consider myself as secondary equipment one eeePC 900 to add (here in
Germany unfortunately at present only with Windows at this time). Did
someone already gain experiences with one of the predecessor models here?

sincerly
Henrik

Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 PM
"B.J. McClure"

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 15:46 +0200, wonderer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Are there any experiences for CentOS 5 on one eeePC of Asus? Is to be
> considered here something?
> I consider myself as secondary equipment one eeePC 900 to add (here in
> Germany unfortunately at present only with Windows at this time). Did
> someone already gain experiences with one of the predecessor models here?
>

> sincerly
> Henrik

No CentOS 5 experience but I can recommend eeXubuntu which is what I use
on my eee. Very lean and will recognize your wireless chip oob.

B.J.

CentOS 5.1, Linux 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 athlon 10:01:08 up 1 day, 1:36, 0
users, load average: 0.22, 0.33, 0.51

Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
"Michael Simpson"

On 6/23/08, wonderer <wonderer4711@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Are there any experiences for CentOS 5 on one eeePC of Asus? Is to be
> considered here something?
> I consider myself as secondary equipment one eeePC 900 to add (here in
> Germany unfortunately at present only with Windows at this time). Did
> someone already gain experiences with one of the predecessor models here?
>

> sincerly
> Henrik

I have no experience with the eee but i can tell you that the atheros
5007 wifi chipset is not a lot of fun to get sorted out.
Reminds me of using broadcom wifi before the b43 driver came out.
If you wish to stay within the RedHat sphere as it were then there is
this info on using fedora 9 with the eee.

<http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=29477>

and

<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc>

I seem to remember that there was work being done at FOSDEM on
installing CentOS on an eee but it seems problematic!

mike