Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default is it possible to login to a switch via RS232 / serial port from the shell? - SOLVED

Tru Huynh wrote:

Hi Rudi,

1) please TRIM the replies.
2) don't let people try to guess your setup
- your initial email does not event state your CentOS version/arch
- your should have told that you were using xen at the very beginning
- post the relevant lines of /var/log/messages and/or the config files
of the program(s) you are using: it will avoid typos such as tty0/ttyS0

just like you did with:

[root@venus /]# grep tty /var/log/dmesg
Xen virtual console successfully installed as ttyS0
[root@venus /]# setserial /dev/ttyS0
Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
[root@venus /]#

It may seem that Xen uses ttyS0 for itself, but how do I get around it?

show the grub.conf entry of your kernels (dom0/domU)
and/or /proc/cmdline content.

Tru

Hi Tru

Sorry for the inconvenience, since this is a CentOS list, I didn't think
it's necessary to say I'm using CentOS. And to be honest with you, I
didn't think there's a problem on the server, but more that I didn't
know how to use minicom - which was the case.

Only after people recommended a few other things, did I think of Xen.

Anyway, it's working now. I had to change the Xen config in
/boot/grub/menu and tell Xen not to use ttyS0 as a serial console for
itself.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/InstallationNotes#head-b915c65538e3d0cb29da04e05cb278e44624a522

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Old 06-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Tom Lanyon

Anyway, it's working now. I had to change the Xen config in /boot/
grub/menu and tell Xen not to use ttyS0 as a serial console for
itself.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/InstallationNotes#head-b915c65538e3d0cb29da04e05cb278e44624a522

Good to hear it's working.

FYI, for future reference since not many people seem to know this,
simple GNU 'screen' is also a terminal emulator and is *much* more
simple than minicom, kermit, etc.

$ yum install screen
$ screen /dev/ttyS0

'man screen' for more info.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Tom Lanyon wrote:

Anyway, it's working now. I had to change the Xen config in
/boot/grub/menu and tell Xen not to use ttyS0 as a serial console for
itself.
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/InstallationNotes#head-b915c65538e3d0cb29da04e05cb278e44624a522

Good to hear it's working.

FYI, for future reference since not many people seem to know this,
simple GNU 'screen' is also a terminal emulator and is *much* more
simple than minicom, kermit, etc.

$ yum install screen
$ screen /dev/ttyS0

'man screen' for more info.