Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 AM
"Hemraj S"

Default Migrating from RHEL to Centos

Hi,

I m currently running my production servers on RHEL 4.6 & would like to migrate to Centos4.6 as it has more benefits & advantages. I looked at the Centos release notes available at http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4.6/os/i386/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html and understood that the basic difference between RHEL & Centos

are look/feel related & binaries,functionalities are almost same. But when i compared the sysctl values of RHEL4.6 with Centos4.6, i found that there are lot of differences in the parameter values. Now my question is:

1) Just like sysctl difference, is there any other difference between RHEL & Centos which could vary the performance & needs to be taken care during migration.
2) When the Centos packages are built, are they built with the same configuration as in RHEL or is there any difference.

Thanks & Regards,
Hemraj

Old 06-23-2008, 07:37 AM
John R Pierce

Hemraj S wrote:

[...]

the defaults for sysctl should be identical if both systems are running
the same kernel revision on similar hardware. do a `uname -a` on
both. did your rhel4.6 system have anything in /etc/sysctl.conf ?
CentOS is built directly from the SRPM's for the AS configuration of
RHEL, using the exact same options. the precise versions of the
compilers and tools used may vary in some cases as upstream doesn't
fully document their build process (RHEL version X is apparently not
built on a stock RHEL version X development platform, using the supplied
tools).

Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Johnny Hughes

John R Pierce wrote:

Hemraj S wrote:

[...]

As posted above, the default values should be the same IF the same
package sets are installed.